Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Anyone with any doubts that Rick Perry is a theocrat can mosey on over to a Yahoo! News writeup of seven changes the governor of Texas would like to make to the Constitution, as he explains in his book, Fed Up! Our Fight to Save America from Washington. They look like quite the grab-bag at first glance, but they are uniformly bad or unnecessary:
- Abolish lifetime tenure for federal judges by amending Article III, Section I of the Constitution.
- Congress should have the power to override Supreme Court decisions with a two-thirds vote.
- Scrap the federal income tax by repealing the Sixteenth Amendment.
- End the direct election of senators by repealing the Seventeenth Amendment.
- Require the federal government to balance its budget every year.
- The federal Constitution should define marriage as between one man and one woman in all 50 states.
- Abortion should be made illegal throughout the country.
If we elect Perry, we may well find ourselves wishing we had an incompetent President.