Facts and Empathy

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Mitch Albom notes the following, of a black high school student whose video from a left-wing demonstration recently went viral:

[W]hen I told her many students write moving essays, overcome odds, have great extracurriculars (like her debate team position) and also don't get in to U-M -- despite higher grades and scores than hers -- she grew frustrated.

"I'm doing the best I can in this life," she said. "If it's not reflected in my academics, I don't know what else I need to do."

...

And with that, Brooke Kimbrough wasn't white or black: She was one of countless kids today who feel that without their first college choice, their future is doomed. I told her it's not. She can do great things attending Michigan State, Iowa, Western Michigan or Howard -- all fine universities that accepted her.
I found much to be indignant about in this episode, but see that Albom did not let that get the better of him as a writer. He got past that and saw the opportunity to reach a young mind, and perhaps many more like her. Polemics have their place, but they are hardly the only means of moral suasion.

-- CAV

No comments: