Blog and Book

Friday, February 18, 2005

I have a policy against blogging from work during the day, but I'll make a quick exception to say....

Welcome Charlotte Capitalist Readers!

Over some lunchtime blog viewing, I noticed that this blog is now listed on the blogroll of the Charlotte Capitalist! As always, I appreciate the recognition (and extra traffic) this lends to my site. Before I encountered the Charlotte Capitalist, I was reading about trends in blogging and one of them was to establish a niche by focusing on the local community. This is part of the approach of the Charlotte Capitalist, but what makes this blog stand out is that, as far as I know, it's the first such blog to do this from an Objectivist perspective. But because Charlotte faces many of the same issues other growing cities do (e.g., light rail.) the 'Capitalist can also serve as a resource for other Objectivists who might want to become more intellectually active in their own local affairs. In addition, its weekly Reason Roundup feature highlights posts from other Objectivist blogs. I've become aware of quite a few other Objectivist blogs out there because of this, and look forward to visiting these more often in the future.

But don't take my word for it. Stop by and see for yourselves what this blog has to offer.

More on Shut Up and Sing

I recently gave a very negative preliminary review of Laura Ingraham's Shut up and Sing. While I still have very big problems with the book philosophically, in fairness I have to report that: (1) there is quite a bit of useful information therein and (2) stylistically, it does get easier to read after the first few pages. I doubt I would end up giving it much better than a very qualified recommendation after all, but I'll probably manage to finish it. My current impression: it's terrible philosophically, but has plenty of useful information/ideas for further research. Only if this impression changes substantially or I learn about anything particularly important from this book do I plan to comment further.

-- CAV

No comments: