I have a far better idea ...

Thursday, April 14, 2005

... than this.

Repeal McCain-Feingold. Yesterday!

The fact that this measure is necessary at all shows that congressional regulation of political speech via the trampling of property rights is regarded as acceptable in America, of all places. Passage may permit us a brief sigh of relief, but it does not mean we should take our eyes off the foxes guarding the henhouse.

From this post is what I regard as a far better first step to a more permanent remedy:

A grassroots campaign to oust every last congressman who voted for McCain-Feingold unless it gets repealed before the next election sounds like a far more sensible route to me. I'll feel much better about the better part of the conservative movement when I hear about such a proposal gaining steam.
-- CAV

1 comment:

Gideon said...

The campaign-finance issue is such a gross violation of rights that it's only the unfortunate present intellectual state of our culture that allows the supporters of this and our politicians to get away with it.

For a while, before the 2000 election, I thought Bush would be opposing McCain on this and I saw this as a definite advantage of Bush over McCain. Then Bush compromised. Pathetic! I know of no major national political figure that's opposed to this regulation on principle. I seem to remember Senator Brownback opposed it. Do you of others? Also some judges (such as Thomas) have made some arguments against it but so far it has not been overturned as the blatantly unconstitutional legislation that it is.