News and Notes: 10-2-05

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Not One, but Two New Objectivist Publications!

As most of my readers probably know already, Don Watkins of Anger Management fame has officially launched Axiomatic. I plan to subscribe as soon as I set up a PayPal account. From the editor:

[S]ince the closing of Harry Binswanger's The Objectivist Forum, there hasn't been a forum for Objectivists who want to write about Objectivism for other Objectivists. That is the purpose of Axiomatic -– to provide a platform for committed Objectivists to analyze Objectivism, apply Objectivist principles to other fields of study, and help readers integrate Objectivism into their daily lives.
The first issue looks really interesting! My hat's off to Don!

Also, be on the lookout for the launch of a new Objectivist Quarterly this spring, The Objective Standard: A Journal of Culture and Politics. (HT: Gideon Reich)
The Objective Standard is a quarterly journal of culture and politics written from the perspective that man's life on earth is the proper standard of morality. According to this principle, that which supports or promotes an individual's life is good, that which retards or destroys it is evil. The purpose of the journal is to analyze and evaluate ideas, trends, events, and policies with respect to this standard.
For further updates, sign up at the link above.

Some time in the near future, I plan to permalink both of these under News and Opinion.

To Fellow Fans of the Space Elevator

Ariel Boekweg of LiftPort Group, the company that recently conducted a successful robot climber experiment in its ongoing efforts to make the concept of the space elevator a reality, informs me that you can sign up for updates on their progress here.

Blog Roundups

Martin Lindeskog posted the Midweek 39 Sampler this Wednesday at Ego.

Vigilis posted Stories You May Have Missed this Friday at Molten Eagle.

Worth Noting Again

Andy Clarkson has a timely post out on the recent blogospheric efforts to cut budgetary fat that includes a better idea and how to contact your representative and senators.

Come to think of it, a subscription to HBL would be worthwhile, too. Thanks for the tip, Andy!

Note to Self

Remember what Philip B. Pape has been able to do with his Blogger blog with the help of Bravenet!

On a Personal Note

In what is both good news and bad news for me: I unexpectedly have stumbled upon an opportunity to earn thousands of dollars a week working at home!

Hah! Just kidding. But I may have a chance to make my situation at work far more tolerable. This cannot help but be good careerwise and sanity-wise, but blogwise and opinion-column-wise, it may not be so good, at least in the short term. (i.e., I won't be quite so free to blog at work.) I'll know more in the next couple of weeks. This isn't exactly the opportunity I was hoping for, but I might take it, given my peculiar personal circumstances.

Wish me luck!

-- CAV

Updates
May 1, 2006: Added hypertext anchors.

No comments: