Google, Anyone?

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I could also call this "Why I don't use Windows, Part 414". Apparently, anyone foolhardy enough to deploy a Microsoft OS on the Internet can now get his computer infected simply by browsing the wrong website. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the Internet, doesn't it?

The flaw, which allows hackers to infect computers using programs maliciously inserted into seemingly innocuous image files, was first discovered last week. But the potential for damaging attacks increased dramatically at the weekend after a group of computer hackers published the source code they used to exploit it. Unlike most attacks, which require victims to download or execute a suspect file, the new vulnerability makes it possible for users to infect their computers with spyware or a virus simply by viewing a web page, e-mail or instant message that contains a contaminated image. [bold added]
I first read about this last week while I was in Chicago. Apparently, even Firefox won't save you this time, unless you've recently updated it.
Users can infect their computers by visiting certain Web sites that are able to exploit some Windows-based applications, Internet security company Panda Software said Friday. It called the discovery "one of the most serious vulnerabilities recently detected."

The flaw to the world's most popular software leaves PCs open to adware and spyware as well as Trojans that can hide damaging programs. Internet Explorer, Outlook and the Windows Picture and Fax viewer are used to insert the potentially harmful code, said Patrick Hinojosa, chief technology officer of Panda.

"Because this exploits particular programs on Windows, rather than Windows itself, your machine can get infected simply by visiting a Web site that's set up to exploit the flaw," he said.

...

Because the vulnerability exists within a faulty Windows component, security experts warn that Windows users who eschew Internet Explorer in favor of alternative Web browsers, such as older versions of Firefox and Opera, can still get their PCs infected if they agree to download a file from a site taking advantage of the flaw. [bold added]
In the meantime, another big player in information technology, Google, stands to clean up big time. The Internet powerhouse might be on the verge of offering PC's at Wal-Mart for a couple of hundred bucks.
Google will unveil its own low-price personal computer or other device that connects to the Internet.

Sources say Google has been in negotiations with Wal-Mart Stores Inc., among other retailers, to sell a Google PC. The machine would run an operating system created by Google, not Microsoft's Windows, which is one reason it would be so cheap perhaps as little as a couple of hundred dollars.

Bear Stearns analysts speculated in a research report last month that consumers would soon see something called "Google Cubes" a small hardware box that could allow users to move songs, videos and other digital files between their computers and TV sets. [bold added]
I intentionally echo the title to an earlier post, in which I noted that for anyone who wishes to protest Microsoft's toadying to Chinese dictators, Linux (which I have used for years for other reasons) provides a means to boycott them. Unfortunately, Google seems just as bad as Microsoft on that score.

Nevertheless, for technophobes reluctant to give Linux a whirl, the desire to have some form of assurance that they won't pay for simple web browsing with the likes of identity theft, there is now an alternative.

See also: $200 Computers? at Myrhaf, and Meanwhile, back in Redmond... at Classical Values. In the latter, Eric Scheie says:
Why is it that Microsoft isn't too busy to censor Chinese bloggers, but still can't find the time to fix Windows' worst security horror yet, affecting all Windows operating systems? (The flaw allows computers to be infected by merely viewing a web site, and the only patch available had to be written by a Russian programmer.)
Heh! I've often wondered the same thing. That also reminds me of something I said in my "Linux, Anyone?" post:
Bill "Armand Hammer" Gates used to merely annoy me when I thought he was just a gun-grabber who insisted on making it nearly impossible to get that silly, politically-correct recycle bin off my desktop. But apparently, he's also so eager to do business with China that he'll stoop to censorship. I guess he has decided to "upgrade" himself from "annoying control freak" to "abettor of tyranny."
Now that I think about this again.... It it just me, or don't control freaks tend to kiss up to those whom they regard as the powerful and treat those they think they control with contempt, such as the willingness to aid Chinese censorship, coupled with the indifference Microsoft shows to its customers?

I am beginning to realize why, depsite my vehement disapproval of our government's repeated persecution of Microsoft via antitrust law, I have such a hard time sympathizing with Bill Gates. In fact, I can't stand the man. I really, really wish I could admire this captain of industry. I marvel at his accomplishments, and yet his behavior in other respects completely undermines that sense of awe.

Arguably, I am being unjust in using Gates as a proxy for the corporation he created. But on the other hand, I have never heard of Gates complaining about his company's subservience to dictators, or the poor security of its operating systems.

-- CAV

Updates

1-4-06: As it turns out, Google will not be marketing ultra-cheap PC's. HT: Vigilis.
1-9-06: Corrected another typo.

14 comments:

Eric said...

Excellent! Makes me want to return to Linux. (It's just that I'm spoiled by the software I need Windows to use....)

Thanks for the link too.

Gus Van Horn said...

Well, that's what VMWare is for!

When I need software that is unable to run on Linux, I start up a virtual machine (VM), which boots into Windows (inside an application window in FVWM, in my case). If Windows crashes, I'm still up and running while I reboot the VM.

Windows crashes, though I admit they are rarer these days, can be quite entertaining this way: It's fun to see Microsoft relegated to the b---- office app software it really is, rather than being in charge of one's computer....

Gus

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the info - I just updated firefox. I'm thinking about moving off of windows, but not to linux - I think I want a mac. I like firefox but OSS as a whole doesn't seem to be going anywhere. My mind might change if I found real innovation there...right now they seem to be playing perpetual catch-up.

Gus Van Horn said...

Oakes,

You're welcome! It's always nice to know that you might have saved someone a bunch of trouble.

As far as innovation goes, I'm no OS fanatic, but I have to ask what you mean by "playing perpetual catch-up". If I'm not mistaken, the newer Mac OSs have open source roots. Windows lacks tools and capabilities that Unix has had for decades and Linux shares. Consider also Beowulf clusters and the many embedded softwares based on Linux.

There is a tendency to play "catch-up" to established software suites, but the main kind of "innovation" I can see is related to Redmond's deliberate use of proprietary file formats to protect its huge market share and the reluctance of major third-party players like Adobe to write apps that run on Linux.

Some newer devices are, I think, developed with Windows in mind, but that's because of who has the largest market share, too. The trend, as far as this industry outsider can tell, is for more vendors to support OSS.

My $0.02.

Gus

Anonymous said...

Yes, osx has an open source kernel, but i'd guess that's mostly for marketing. Andy Hertzfeld told cnet that apple open-sourced their kernel because it's the part they don't really care about. They're still pretty committed to proprietary stuff.

I've never read into beowulf clusters but is it anything like grid computing (xgrid?). Anyway I will concede that linux & unix are dominating server and database software, but they're used by the computer-savvy so they don't require the same elegance that consumers require. I was think more along the lines of consumer software.

There's no way economically for open office or gimp to afford the R&D and UI teams dedicated to office 12 or photoshop. So the only thing they can really do is try to mimic the proprietary ones, which they are doing (see gimpshop).

I won't defend proprietary file formats - I am 100% for open standards. That, after all, is what the internet is built on. I'd hate for html to be some closed format only readable in IE.

Vigilis said...

Gus, Cheers for 2006! We may have fallen prey to poor reporting as reagrads Google:
Google denies plans to build low-cost PC Google Computer

Gus Van Horn said...

Oakes,

Thanks for the clarification. As for your question, I am unfamilar with Xgrid, but it would appear that the answer is "Yes."

Your point about Open Office and Gimp is valid so long as there is not some kind of sponsor for software development. But a corporation with deep pockets, Microsoft, is being schooled in security by a bunch of hobbyist programmers just like the MSM is being schooled in fact-checking by a bunch of guys in pajamas (See today's roundup.) Money foolishly spent gets you nowhere.

Vigilis,

Good to see you back, and Happy New Year back at you! And thanks for that link.

Gus

Gus Van Horn said...

... Of course, Wal-Mart did, at least at one time, offer a $200 Linux PC!

Perhaps the 200 dollar Google rumor had its origins there....

Gus

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think MS has a lot of problems, which is kind of paradoxical to me since I've heard so much about how MS hired really good people. For example, look at the bottom of this CAC page. Maybe they've changed since the antitrust suits, I don't know.

Anyway I meant to email you about this but it couldn't find myway.com. I sympathize with your criticism of MS a lot but I'm trying to reconcile that with my political views. As long as a company doesn't initiate force and works in its long-term self-interest, I think it's doing the right thing.

So the case of MS is perplexing. Would a company be able to get extremely rich while locking people into proprietary formats and producing (sometimes) sub-standard software? Or can some of their success be blamed on a system that issues patents for the most obvious things (like amazon 1-Click)? Maybe you have some other explanation but I've always wondered this.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant to say: "In a free economy, would a company be able to get extremely rich while..."

Gus Van Horn said...

Oakes,

I've wondered many of the same things about Microsoft. On software patents, I am told that they are a complete joke. For example, the MS FAT patent is being reexamined, as if its application was actually examined in the first place....

I'll offer a few of my own random thoughts on this matter, which is a very interesting question, but whose answer would involve a complicated interplay among legal, business, economic, and social factors.

I think with Microsoft that it was the right combination of qualities that made it dominant. MacIntosh made better stuff, yet made the tactical blunder of insisting that they also made all their own hardware. (And so MS is what all the other hardware manufacturers standardized for.) AND MacIntosh wasn't run by the most business-savvy people, either. And sure, everyone complains that MS software is shoddy, but for most people, it is adequate. A few things like this, I think, aided the ascent of the colossus of Redmond at a time when stand-alone PC's in offices is what the market wanted. (Now that they're all interconnected, MS has a host of serious problems that their original design didn't have to account for. Interestingly, I would suspect that one problem will turn out to be that former lock-in dynamo known as "backwards compatibility". If many security problems come from old design decisions, then MS has a big dilemma: Does it redesign and make it hard to use old software, angering its customers, or does not, ensuring that its software remains as solid as Swiss cheese?)

Division of labor disguised as inertia keeps it going. Joe Boss is too busy riding herd on his employers to spend time listening to someone discuss why he needs a little more time to find some dependenceies to get a new Linux suite going, so he just goes with what he "knows", and that's Microsoft. This is counteracted by IT personnel who slip in Linux solutions behind their bosses backs and then drop the L-word when asked how they performed whatever miracle they did.

So far, everything I've mentioned seems to have a way of correcting for itself, as anything that substitutes an artificial limitation on customer choice for quality should.

This leaves proprietary file formats. I think that even in our remarkably un-free economy, the same sort of thing can play out, although I don't completely see how. Some say that internet-based office apps are the wave of the future. Google would be much better-positioned than MS to take advantage of that as things stand now. Somehow, I don't see Google standardizing to a format it doesn't own. What does MS say to that? If they make Word unable to produce the format, some will stop using Word. And if they make Word able to produce the format, ....

That's rambling and sketchy, but I suspect that such forces would work faster in a freer economy for a variety of reasons.

Case in point: A grant-funding agency I had to apply to recently makes you submit on forms that require Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat (which isn't offered in Linux) to fill out. In a free society, I would imagine that the government would have to accept some non-proprietary format for its forms since it otherwise is basically subsidizing a business.

Enough for now.

Gus

Anonymous said...

Gus Van Horn wrote: "...Microsoft, is being schooled in security by a bunch of hobbyist programmers..."

Thanks for the the chuckle. Frankly, I find it astonishing how people can stand the everyday use of Windows. The thing is more of a burden than it is a tool. And it doesn't just lack basic security, it is quite primitive as well; just look at IE -- tabbed browsing has been around for years now!

On a different tune however, Windows fans should be happy. If you read the Vista homepage, especially the "security" and "reliability" sections you may notice quite a few new security features -- of course, all of them have been UNIX standard for decades.

So, in opposition to Oakes, I think the real catch-up player (when it comes to the OS at least) is MSFT. This is true even in case of the GUI these days. Unix/Linux GUIs such as Gnome and KDE are much better than anything availale from MSFT, i.e., better looking, more futures and customizability. And clearly, there is no serous comparison with Macintosh. As for me, I just love the awesome power of the command line.

And now I will stop ranting...

Anonymous said...

Thank you both for your comments. I'm going to ponder this more in the future - I can already see that it is very complex. I too have thought that a free government would probably have an obligation to go the way of Massachusetts and put their documents in an open format.

Egoist, I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of Objectivists who aren't pro-MS :-D It's easy to mistakenly go from "Microsoft shouldn't be prosecuted with antitrust" to "Microsoft is an innovative company with great products."

MS definitely has some catching up of their own to do, but I was just broadly comparing the closed and open source model. I can't imagine that Adobe, for example, could make their products as well as they have without making money (and passing around the donation bin doesn't cut it). Being closed source alone doesn't guarantee a better product, as MS proves. But it seems to set the stage.

Oh, and I'm afraid of the command line :-D

Gus Van Horn said...

R-E,

Thanks for your additional comments on the fact that you can choose your own GUI under Linux, and for mentioning one of my favorite things about Linux: the ability to use the command line easily, if I want.

Oakes,

All the Objectivists I know of who like Linux I've met through the Internet. I'm definitely an odd duck here in Houston.

Having said that, the enormity of Microsoft's market share is quite a spectacular achievement, and even its software (on a machine that is safely unplugged from the Internet) is pretty amazing compared to what was around not too long ago. While one might be tempted attribute some of this "pro-MS" sentiment among Objectivists to ignorance about computers, it would be a mistake to assume that all, or even any of it is for a given individual.

As Neal Stephenson put it is his very long, but quite thought-provoking monograph, "In the Beginning Was the Command Line",

" Microsoft refused to go into the hardware business, insisted on making its software run on hardware that anyone could build, and thereby created the market conditions that allowed hardware prices to plummet. In trying to understand the Linux phenomenon, then, we have to look not to a single innovator but to a sort of bizarre Trinity: Linus Torvalds, Richard Stallman, and Bill Gates. Take away any of these three and Linux would not exist."

Gus