Major Blogroll Revisions

Monday, January 09, 2006

For a few weeks, I've mentioned off and on the need to change my blogroll due to the fact that I'd used all 50 spaces in my blogrolling account . I finally got a chance to revise my method of linking to other bloggers tonight. I have checked that all links work, but any bloggers who reciprocal link to this blog should double-check me and make sure I haven't lost you in the shuffle.

I have changed the names by which I refer to a few blogs. As far as I can remember offhand, these are:

Bothenook is now listed as Geezer's Corner, A.
Bubblehead is now listed as Stupid Shall Be Punished, The.
David Veksler is now listed as Truth, Justice, ... .
Daily Bleat
is now listed as Bleat, The.
Egosphere is now listed as Objectivism Metablog.
I have quite a few blogs listed and less time to keep up with them than I did before the new year. So I have broken blogs down by approximate posting frequency as a means of keeping track of them more efficiently. Except for the "Recently Added" category of blogs, that is what blogroll subheadings reflect.

The exception is the "Recently Added" category. These are blogs I am still becoming acquainted with, some of them too new to have a track record of regular posting. I'll classify them later.

I normally do a better job of introducing new members of my blogroll when I add them, but I haven't the time. I will merely point out that all five blogs on the "Recently Added" list were added today. They are all worth visiting, and all are fairly new and would probably appreciate the visits.

Please let me know whether I have lost anyone in the shuffle or whether you have any issues with the way I have listed your blog. Thanks for your patience, and as always, thanks for stopping by.

-- CAV

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gus, thanks for the link. I have added you to my blogroll.

I try to post at least three times a week. So keep checking back!

Anonymous said...

Gus Van Horn wrote: "I have quite a few blogs listed and less time to keep up with them than I did before the new year. So I have broken blogs down by approximate posting frequency as a means of keeping track of them more efficiently."

I think this is where RSS aggregators are useful.

Gus Van Horn said...

Grant,

You're quite welcome, and thanks for the link.

R-E,

An aggregator is the next step for me. I have been using the web-based on on Yahoo!, but it is quite limited. Awhile back, I tried another on on Google, but found that it also had serious shortcomings. Since then (and it's been awhile), I've seen Oakes rave about it on his blog, so I'm giving that another look.

The goal is efficiency, and an aggregator is part of the plan.

Any other recommendations? I'd prefer it to be web-based. Failing that, it MUST be capable of running on Linux.

Gus

Anonymous said...

Personally, I use "Akregator" -- which as you might have guessed, is a news aggregator for the K Desktop Environment, but I suppose it must work under GNOME as well, with the right libraries installed.

For a web-based one, you might want to give NewsGator a try. The General also recently referred to Netvibes -- which I found to be quite good.

Gus Van Horn said...

R-E,

Thanks for all the info!

Gus

Unknown said...

Yo, Gus, I can't say as I like the color combination at all, alas. The pink, white, and gray was already antiseptically hospital-like enough--reminded me of gray walls and candy-stripers. Now that you've added the green, it's like a hospital with gray walls and preppy candy-stripers. It's also kinda like a bleached-out Islamic color scheme (white, black, red, and green).

Gus Van Horn said...

Adrian,

Green? What green?

This is two comments in a row now that you have flummoxed me!

No fair, man! I'm supposed to be the cognitive authority around here!

Speaking of antiseptic aesthetics (or is that septic anti-aethethics?), a site redesign is a goal, but, sadly, way behind a long queue of others I have at the moment.

Gus

Unknown said...

Oh, I meant the bright green you use for titles of the different groups of blogs you've linked to. Now, if you added some light blue, the combo would work very well, I think.

Gus Van Horn said...

Adrian,

Hmmmm. About three minutes after I posted that, THAT possibility came up. "But I coded it as 'font color=grey'," I thought. "It couldn't be that."

That's annoying. I (meaning you) will probably have to live with that for a couple of days until I have time to play with my template again.

Gus