An Innovation I'd Like to See

Monday, May 22, 2006

Yesterday, I had what I thought might be a decent idea for a longer piece after reading up on the continuing campaign by the left to close Gitmo. In the process of reading, I'd gathered what I thought to be a good critical mass of information and had gotten a whiff of an interesting approach. All I needed to do was read Leonard Peikoff's lecture, "A Picture is Not an Argument" and I'd be set.

I'd done the research in my office because the cable was out at home. Thinking I had the essay in my bound set of The Intellectual Activist, I merrily drove home.

That's when I realized that the volume I was thinking of covered the wrong time period. Worse still, I had no idea of where my back issues were, and I could not recall whether I'd subscribed back in 1999 anyway. I looked everywhere I could, including the Internet, and came up empty.

I want the essay and plan to buy it. Here is a list of my choices.

My shipping options with the Ayn Rand Bookstore probably include some kind of next-day air via UPS. This is good, but since I am writing, I really don't want to have to go through an audio format to dig for quotes. TIA probably also has a next-day shipping option as well, but you have to all but purchase to find out.

For my money and purposes, the CD-format back issues of TIA look great but for one catch:
Due to digital licensing constraints, the CD-ROM does not include three articles by and an interview with Leonard Peikoff. Those articles are included in the printed bound volume.
Hmmm. I can't even buy this on-line and be sure of getting what I want! If I call and find this to be the case, my choices are down to: (a) a book I will have to think long and hard about purchasing, (b) a pamphlet I'll probably misplace, or (c) a whole bunch of pamphlets I can have fun keeping track of. Great.

But let's say the CD set had everything. There's still a problem. This was on a Sunday, and both stores are doubtless small operations. I didn't try, but I bet I would have gotten a phone message at either place informing me that the time to place orders is during normal business hours.

Furthermore, I am not sure when I'll have time to sit down and think about this topic at length again. The time I really wanted this article was yesterday. What I really would have liked is to be able to order the article electronically in PDF form, or otherwise viewed it online.

I am a little surprised that there is apparently only one way -- if that -- to purchase this lecture in electronic format, and even for that I'd have to wait for a package to be shipped to my home.

Given that many, if not most, students and adherents of Objectivism are college-aged or in academia, and so strapped for cash (And time -- see also the comments.) for Objectivist publications, it would seem to me that selling articles, lectures, and even book chapters online would significantly improve the availability of lots of Objectivist material by reducing the expense of these materials in terms of money and delivery time. It might even improve sales of some of the bound journals, anthologies, and books. I, for example, am already familiar with TIA and so am predisposed to buy the CD collection at the end of the above list. But suppose I weren't. If I could first read several articles at a dollar or two a pop, I might decide to buy the set later on.

I see that some Objectivist publications, like TIA, The Objective Standard, and the now-defunct Axiomatic do (or did) offer electronic subscriptions or access to back issues.

The question is: Why only them?

-- CAV

5 comments:

Gus Van Horn said...

David,

That would certianly be why, although it strikes me as a particularly good idea to archive as much of this as possible in electronic format, which seems to have been done for TIA Daily anyway. And if it's being done already, why not use it for more than just archival purposes?

Interns: the monks of the electronic era! And I'm only half-joking....

Gus

Jennifer Snow said...

I also wonder why there isn't more web publishing of articles, books, and fiction stories--I'm thinking of branching out in that direction once I get going as an author. (I'm already doing it, to a certain extent, with my own work.)

Gus Van Horn said...

Jennifer,

I was about to say something to the effect that it might be soon yet for new writers to make money in this fashion, but perhaps the problem lies in a lack of a suitable business model or method of screening. As we bloggers know, it's hard enough to build up a following when writing for free!

Maybe a customer rating system like that used at ebay (for authors and critics alike), but for a site catering to new writers, would enable customers to look for authors they might like, and for the writers to be able to charge more or less per view as their reputaion improves.

It's an interesting idea that I haven't given a whiole lot of thought to.

Gus

Jennifer Snow said...

My "model" ran along these lines:

1. Centralized web site that hosts fiction/nonfiction writing for authors paying a small one-time fee per article, largely to cover the cost of storage space. Authors would also be screened by the site staff before their work was accepted. (This is because, if I were going to run the site I would want to have at least some idea what was on it.)

2. You can join the site and access a specified number of articles free per month, or you can pay a monthly fee and be able to access as many articles as you like. You can also pay per-article after you reach your free limit.

My (rough) idea on how to pay authors was based on the number of paying members that access their work. Other features would include things searches, ratings of articles for quality and number of times accessed, editing advice (for a small additional fee), staff reviews, probably a forum.

It's just some random ideas at this stage; I'm not especially worried about someone stealing them, either. I don't know how much of an entrepreneuer I am.

Gus Van Horn said...

Jennifer,

Nor am I. Properly done, something like that could probably turn a decent profit. But I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to go about it, nor does what I imagine to be the daily grind associated with that sort of thing seem likely to hold my interest.

Gus