Because It's Important

Thursday, May 20, 2010

This hastily-rendered image is my contribution to "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day."

Now that I think of it, this drawing essentializes the issue at stake rather nicely, if I say so myself.

I not only refuse to obey Islamic demands that I not so much as draw Mohammed (or say that something I have drawn is Mohammed), I also understand that accepting such terms is to submit to an undeserved death sentence.

Why? Because freedom of speech is a sacred right. And it is sacred not because someone says it is sacred, but because the ability to put one's thoughts into words is necessary on every level for a life proper to man. To forbid freedom of speech is not only to damn man, but to ultimately to make his life impossible.

-- CAV

P.S. This image also appears at Principles in Practice.

Updates

Today
: (1) Changed "everyone" to "everybody." (2) Added P.S. with link to Principles in Practice.

No comments: