Three from the Mailbag

Friday, October 29, 2010

Being behind and in a hurry this morning, I'll lean on my in-box for today's post...

1. My Mom recently reminded me of the following quote from Bjarne Stroustrup, the designer of the C++ computer language:

I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone.
She titled the email, "me in a nutshell."

The acorn doesn't fall too far from the tree, then!

2. Stephen Bourque reminds me at his blog of a Bill Whittle video -- embedded there -- that I first heard about on the HBL mailing list. I never got around to watching it.

Sez he:
Bill Whittle of PJTV makes stunningly insightful observations about wealth creation, including the relationship of prosperity to freedom and the fact that in a free exchange all parties benefit. (I say "stunningly" because I am unaccustomed to hearing such things spoken of outside of Objectivist circles.)
Bourque does add some criticism to this appraisal, however.

3. Some time back, a friend mentioned a thread at Objectivism Online about the merits of the composers Rachmaninoff and Bach. He considers "Bach perhaps the greatest composer," but regards Rachmaninoff as "one of my all-time favorites," and particularly recommended one of the posts in the thread.

-- CAV

No comments: