12-3-11 Hodgepodge

Saturday, December 03, 2011

Well, we're back in Boston from a combined Thanksgiving break/round of baby-related family visits. (Hmmm. Is anything for me really not baby-related anymore?) I'm running on fumes and the baby is completely off-schedule after yesterday's cross-country flight from the West Coast, so I'm going to make an abbreviated weekend post and leave it at that.

As of this moment, I'm debating between crawling back into bed or catching up on non-blogging matters once I hit "publish"...

Weekend Reading

"There's no egalitarianism in economics." -- Jonathan Hoenig, in "Not All Stock Trades Are Equal" at SmartMoney

"[W]hy should she trust you, knowing that you condoned and participated in [an affair]?" -- Michael Hurd, in "Is All Fair in Love?" at DrHurd.com 

"Conservatives should grow up, cease their promiscuity in the GOP primaries, and take Article VI [of the Constitution] seriously." -- Richard Salsman, in "GOP Conservatives -- Not Romney -- Are the Real Flip-Floppers" at Forbes

"Despite this seeming contradiction, in both cases the government is really saying, 'We'll decide who can do what with your body.'" -- Paul Hsieh, in "Screening for Terrorists vs. Screening for Cancer" at PJ Media

My Two Cents

Reading the above columns makes me unable to resist adding a couple more comments. (1) Michael Hurd offers the best answer I have ever seen to what has to be a painful dilemma. (2) I regard Richard Salsman's piece as required reading for anyone considering whether Newt Gingrich or Mitt Romney would be a preferable opponent to Barack Obama in 2012. For one thing, Salsman does an excellent job of explaining how atrocious Gingrich really is. For another, he is the first person to make me regard Romney as palatable in any way.

-- CAV

Updates

12-7-11: Corrected a typo. 

No comments: