Rodney King Reconsidered

Monday, December 06, 2004


Coincidences


Here I am, confused about what I want to write. Do I rant about Windows or do I ruminate on whether the Rodney King affair would have culminated in riots seven short years ago before the alternative media came of age? Perhaps I'll do both.

This all started Sunday. I'd planned to spend the day on the computer making improvements to the blog after getting our new laptop squared away. Instead, I spent most of the day wrestling with Bill Gates over ownership of the PC which I paid for because his crappy operating system, for which I also paid won't do what I paid for it to do: take my orders. I finally did succeed in getting our new Dell to dual boot Windows and Linux: the former allows my wife to use some software from school as she writes her thesis, and the latter allows me to keep from pulling my hair out when I want to get some work done. For the record, the one Linux install I had to do was easier than eitherWindows install, and everything (including a printer and a scanner) worked out of the box with Linux. Two hours later, I was just finishing installing all the drivers and scanner software for Windows. I will be diligent about keeping both Linux and Windows up-to-date, but only with Windows do I have to worry about viruses. Or crashes. Or something suddenly not working for no apparent reason. Or ....

So I decided that I'd look into Rodney King. Lo and behold, there's an interview about a book that came out in 1998 in Salon! But a link on the same page brought up a stupid quote about Windows which I couldn't let pass without comment and which, as it turn out, actually does have something to do with my thoughts on Rodney King.

Tax Money out the Windows

So the quote, a lame joke by lousy businessman Scott McNealy, is this:


Shut down some of the bullshit the government is spending money on and use it to buy all the Microsoft stock. Then put all their intellectual property in the public domain. Free Windows for everyone! If we did that, we could forget all this legal stuff and just bronze Gates, turn him into a statue and stick him in front of the Commerce Department.

Well, if by "bullshit," McNealy means "the welfare state," I could say that I agreed with the first half of his first sentence. However, given his sanction of the government's use of the antitrust cudgel against Microsoft, I somehow doubt it. I'm not going to spend too much of my writing time ranting about Microsoft, but I'll make two points at this juncture. (1) Given my employer's deal with the colossus of Redmond, I have the "opportunity" to use Microsoft products free of charge. I don't because when I sit down at a computer, I want to get something done. (2) Just because I think Windows is garbage does not mean I favor the government taking any action against Microsoft on antitrust grounds. I oppose antitrust law.

Besides, I think that Microsoft won't maintain its overwhelming monopoly for long. Just as Old Media are getting their clocks cleaned by alternative news media, so will Microsoft by open source software. It's the same sort of phenomenon. On the one hand, Dan Rather tries to foist fake memos on the American public and gets caught by experts communicating over the internet. On the other hand, Microsoft has only its own employees to fix security problems or improve its software while Linux and other open source software is being worked on by hoards of programmers around the world. Many eyes see errors more quickly than a few. Many minds mean a faster pace of innovation. Many hands make quick work.

Rodney King Re-Revisited

But the above quote was in a sidebar to an article that came up as I looked around on the web for references to Rodney King. This is an interview with one Lou Cannon, a reporter for the Washington Post who reexamined the events seven years after they occurred in his book, Official Negligence: How Rodney King and the Riots Changed Los Angeles and the LAPD. The interview was quite a hoot, being, as it was, a mere six years after Sergeant Stacey Koon of the LAPD wrote his own compelling account, Presumed Guilty: The Tragedy of the Rodney King Affair. Both authors agree that the news media and government officials deceived the public about the facts of the case. The most notable deception, and the one which will always be remembered, was the repeated airing on television all over the country of the most inflammatory 82 seconds of a 12-minute videotape. Even just the rest of this videotape could have provided some of the context for the beating the officers administered to this dangerous man who was high on PCP. Koon puts it best in his book.

The Simi Valley ... jury that found me and three other officers innocent of wrongdoing arrived at the only ... verdict possible, based upon the evidence. We were rightfully judged innocent despite almost universal presumption of our guilt both before and after the trial. That presumption was fed by the media.

All of which means, of course, that the public revulsion and bloody, costly Los Angeles riots that followed were a tragic, avoidable reaction. They were the response of a misguided public that had been deceived by the Los Angeles police, municipal officials, and community leaders. They were the reaction of an ill-informed public denied information by news media that had an agenda [emphasis added] in which truth and full disclosure were not factors.

I have an interesting question: might the LA riots have been prevented had the alternative media come of age sooner? Had unedited copies been available on the internet, might some enterprising news stations (or Fox News) have shown them? Might the flawed policies of the LAPD concerning the use of force have come to light? Might policemen have come forward to explain why trying to subdue a man high on PCP is so difficult and dangerous? It's an interesting question, but we'll never know the answer. Besides being partly a Rathergate of days gone by, the Rodney King affair involved a corrupt officialdom and a "civil rights" establishment more interested in rabble rousing than the niceties of giving four cops a fair trial. Our New Media will not provide absolute protection against something like this happening again, but the odds are much lower, I'd say.

So What Does it All Mean?

Earlier, I said, "But a link on the same page brought up a stupid quote about Windows which I couldn't let pass without comment and which, as it turn out, actually does have something to do with my thoughts on Rodney King." Linux and the internet-based new media both provide examples of the quantum leap in human endeavor made possible by the internet. By means of the internet, huge numbers of minds can easily -- and to the extent that they are available or want to participate -- take part in a project or examine a problem. Evasion and error are rare and short-lived. I have heard the blogosphere called "self-correcting." That is accurate because the internet makes possible massive redundancy in fact-checking. This is precisely why open-source software evolves more quickly than closed-source and why hidden agendas and sloppiness in the news media will no longer pose the enormous threat they once did.

-- CAV

3 comments:

Gus Van Horn said...

Raymund,

You raise good points. Certainly the alternative media are not a panacaea. But then freedom of speech has always been most useful to the thinking man. It has recently become much more so.

I don't know whether Quanell X has a blog nor do I have the inclination to look when I have the time. But your point brings up an interesting part of a conversation I had recently over Thanksgiving. My sister-in-law, true-blue-stater that she is, had gotten wind of theories from what Captain Ed calls the "port side of the blogoshere" to the effect that certain "Democratic" counties in Florida had voted for Bush. I rarely venture to those waters, but I'd already heard about that theory AND its debunking, which checked with what I already knew about Southerners who are Democrats in name only. Still, without some critical evaluation on one's part, it is perfectly possible to have the world at your fingertips and still choose to believe something demonstrably untrue for any of the reasons you point out.

As far as Windows goes, you rightly point out that Microsoft has inertia in its favor. If Bill Gates shows any genius, it is that he seems to grasp a principle like "survival of the most adequate." His software is adequate for what most people want to do. On the other hand, many businesses, especially in the financial sector, which need more reliability, security, or flexibility than Windows can offer already use Unix or Linux. While I doubt Mictosoft (typo, but a good one) will go out of business any time soon, I don't see them totally owning PCs the way they do now for long. Time will tell.

Windows drives me nuts, but if it doesn't annoy you and it gets your job done I see no problem with using it. You are, after all, in a country where you're free to use what floats your boat!

-- Gus

Gus Van Horn said...

Raymund,

As with anything, there can be good or bad reasons for doing something. I am not completely sure what you mean by "acting like morals police," but there can various reasons for (and many possible ways of) expressing a moral opinion of something someone does. I'll take a wild stab at this for two cents.

The good: One genuinely judges something morally and has reason to bring the fact up. For example, you witness a crime and wish to aid justice. Or you're raising a child and want to make sure he knows right from wrong. I happen to know some Objectivists who make a point of using Windows as a show of support against the government's legal persecution of Microsoft. This implies that one HAS some sort of theory of morality. At the extreme, one can see another person as a genuine threat to his existence and there may be a need to act in self-defense. Osama bin Laden, for example, is this dangerously immoral.

On a positive note, praise for a good act falls into this category.

The bad: One seeks some form of validation by making sure the whole world knows about one's choices. Take the OS wars: Fractionally, lots of Linux users, more Mac users, and a small minority of Windows users treat their choice of OS like a religion. This can be from genuine excitement over the virtues of said OS or it can be a way to feel moral, intelligent, or something else deemed positive. This is usually annoying, but harmless. Notice that this is done in matters of choice that lie wholly outside questions of morality, like the example above, or in other optional values like taste in music.

The ugly: The real morals police can't live and let live because your choices implicitly call their own worldview into question. Islamofascist terrorists are the obvious example here. A less immediately dangerous example occurs in my next post: the food police, who apparently value others being forced to do what they see as right more than they value freedom and its corrolary of individual fallibility.

Note that at the good and the ugly ends of the spectrum, mortal conflict can occur. What's the essential difference between the two, then? The ugly will not hesitate to INITIATE such conflict while the good only wish to be left alone and will act only in self-defense.

Of course, one's evaluation of the two ends of the spectrum will depend on his ethical system. Osama bin Laden would see "live and let live" as weak and to the detriment of the glory of Allah and, hence, immoral. The important philosophical question, then, is how to determine whether a particular moral code is valid. A failure to consider this question results in an inability to explain why we are justified in prosecuting criminals or fighting wars and ultimately, a failure to do either. This extreme form of "live and let live" is moral relativism and it IS obviously weak. The use of force is not in and of itself immoral: its INITIATION is, however.

-- Gus

Gus Van Horn said...

I forgot my most important point. Where do I think "morals police" come from?

What is morality, anyway? It's a guide to living one's life. Almost all moral codes are altruistic, and thus centered on subordinating one's life to something, or someone, else. One interesting result that we see with the Islamofascists is that it becomes perfectly "moral" to blow oneself up. Perversely, the ethical code ends the life of the terrorist. Another effect is that the follower of an altruistic code will realize that others should also be subordinating THEIR lives to whatever it is that they themselves are, and will go about trying to get others to change. Prosteletyzing, incontinent moralizing, and even violent acts against the especially recalcitrant can result.

By contrast, in an egoistic ethics, one's focus is on living one's life to the fullest. Beyond being infringed upon by others, the egoist doesn't really give a rat's behind what someone else does. As an egoist myself, I'd be thrilled if more people subscribed to my ethical system, but I have better ways to spend my life than to try to win the world over. I figure that if someone wants to learn from me, they'll come to me asking for advice. I philosophize to live; I do not live to philosophize. (Though I enjoy it and am doing it now.)

I don't know if that contributes to your ruminations, but I've never made that connection for myself before between altruism and moralization (as opposed to expressing appropriate moral judgements); between other-centeredness and the desire to control.

-- Gus