Droll Worriers, and "Warriors" Playing with Dolls

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Was it just me or was today a bit of a slow news day? As for me, I'm a recovering post-presentation zombie. In the scientific side of the academy, it is common to be called upon to present a paper (published results from others in your field) to the coworkers in your lab or group of labs. It was my turn today, so I was up pretty late last night getting ready. The paper turned out to be on the tricky side, too, so I needed to make sure I had a couple of points right. I didn't want to go down in flames if someone decided to start asking questions. It went OK, but I'm bushed today.

But still. Today. It seems that the news was a little on the less-than-momentous side in general. And then it also seemed that there was, at least among the few major blogs I visit regularly, a general let-down after the Iraqi elections. I suppose that gives me away as someone who gravitates to what Captain Ed would call the "starboard side of the blogosphere." From a bit of Fox News that I picked up this evening, it sounds like the lefties have just recovered from the stunning blow delivered to them by our men in uniform and the Iraqi people. (As Rush Limbaugh put it, they've now lost two big elections in three months.)

It seems that the commie punditocracy have now come to their senses (to use an idiom generously) enough to work themselves into a high dudgeon about the "legitimacy" of the Iraqi elections. Hilariously, little Dennis Kucinich (This -- "little" -- is how Ann Coulter once described him, and now the adjective pops into my mind any time I see him.) appeared on Hannity and Colmes to moan about the election in Iraq lacking foreign (i.e., non-American) monitors. He then started reeling off a list of state elections to illustrate his point. He included Ohio, saying something like, "You can't monitor an election in Ohio from Umptysquat, New York."

Ohio!

Funny, but plenty of people in his own party seem to feel comfortable calling the red presidential vote last year in Ohio fraudulent, and from such places as California. Pretty much the whole interview was like that, but then what can we expect from a man who once used a pie chart for a radio interview? Well, since I'm on the subject of Dennis Kucinich and I'm in the mood to laugh a little (but I repeat myself), I'll point to the Ann Coulter article (from back at the Democratic Convention) I mentioned before and except a bit that follows her first reference to the diminutive Democratic dimwit.

Looking at the line-up of speakers at the Convention, I have developed the 7-11 challenge: I will quit making fun of, for example, Dennis Kucinich, if he can prove he can run a 7-11 properly for 8 hours. We'll even let him have an hour or so of preparation before we open up. Within 8 hours, the money will be gone, the store will be empty, and he'll be explaining how three 11-year olds came in and asked for the money and he gave it to them.

I frequently find myself at odds with Coulter, especially for her views on the relationship between religion and politics, but when she gets going about liberals, she can be quite hilarious.

And that reminds me.... (I'm tired right now, forgive the fast and loose associations.)

How 'bout that doll taken hostage in Iraq today! Matt Drudge showed pictures (via Politburo Diktat) of the action figure ("Cody") probably used in the photo, which the Counterterrorism Blog also showed to be doctored. Update: Jihad Watch shows soldier's mother pleading for his life!

OK. Maybe it wasn't a slow news day. It was probably just writer's block! It was amazing how I got going once I just started typing....

-- CAV

Updates:

2-2-05: Added reference and link to Jihad Watch post.
2-5-05: Added link to news story with pictures and Politburo Diktat post. Corrected name of action figure.

No comments: