Nuke School Tee Shirt

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Inspired by Bubblehead's recent Nuke School flashback post, I've decided to share a nuke school memory of my own. Our class -- or at least my section, which ended up with more than its fair share of the clowns -- had tee shirts made near the end of Naval Nuclear Power School (scroll down). The Simpsons was still a new series back then and there was a small group of avid fans who happened to sit near each other at the front of the room. (Yes. We had assigned seating. Really. No. I'm not kidding. It was the military, for crying out loud!)

During our time there, an episode (synopsis) aired that definitely struck a chord with us. In particular, there was, in that episode, a spoof of a 16mm safety film called, "NUCLEAR ENERGY, Our Misunderstood Friend." This became the inspiration for our class tee shirt, of which you see a scan below. I've also transcribed the writing underneath. (If enough folks have trouble seeing it and let me know, I can try scanning it again. Tee shirts are a little tricky!)


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Title: Nuclear Power (top), Our Misunderstood Friend (bottom)
Ens. Bart: I say we scram, sir...
Lt. Homer: Bart!!
Ens. Bart: Just kiddin' man, don't have a cow!!

One weird thing. No "D'oh!" My memory is hazy, but I'm pretty sure Homer was saying that back then, and that he has always said it. I could be wrong, though. I watched the occasional episode and that was pretty much it for me.

I don't know how this stacks up in the annals of nuke school humor, but I can say one thing about that shirt. I not only still have it: I still fit comfortably in it. (But this post makes me wonder: For how long? Zounds, indeed!)

-- CAV

No comments: