Another Good Humor Site

Saturday, October 29, 2005

I'm stuck getting a presentation ready this weekend, which means I'm sitting in front of the computer a lot. Lucky you!

If you like The Onion and McSweeney's, you'll love Landover Baptist!

At least this one is new to me, and most of my readers will probably also like it. I stumbled across a story (about -- how shall I put it -- "Jar Jar Binks doll" abuse) during an internet search. That was pretty funny, so I looked around the site a little bit.

Even better was this Q & A by Brother Harry Hardwick:

Q: If you could sell your soul to Satan, what would you want for it?

A: Dear Doomed, Inquisitive One,

I cannot agree with the others who have replied. With all due respect to *****, I think a doughnut is shooting a bit too low. In response to *****, I certainly wouldn't want to be Satan. I'm more of a winter person than a summer person. I have bad reactions to heat. And even though the climate in Hell is a dry heat (Humidity 0%), I would still find it unpleasant. Regarding *****'s answer, I certainly wouldn't want to be God. The sight of blood always makes me rather squeamish, and I find killing even bugs unpleasant. I cannot fathom slaughtering all the people God has over the years. I'm not criticizing Him, mind you -- to each His own, but striking down thousands upon thousands of people with plagues and pestilence just isn't my cup of tea.

The price tag for my soul would be "everything I would get from God as a saved Christian who followed all His commandments." That way, I could go to Heaven without having to sort through the myriad of seemingly unconscionable and inconsistent edicts to figure out what conduct is appropriate. I suppose if I'm in Heaven for eternity, my soul would be with me, but your question didn't say Satan has to take possession of my soul, just that he would buy it. So my request would essentially involve a deal whereby he would own it and I would lease it.

Praying all recognize that if the promise of eternal bliss were guaranteed without following the incomprehensible rules of the Good Book, religion as we know it would disappear,
And don't forget to take this quiz before you leave!

OK. Back to work.

-- CAV

No comments: