Internet Explorer: Blecch!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Update: IE Users can now cut and paste -- I think! Please let me know if you notice any lingering problems with cut-and-paste on IE or any new problems with the appearance of my blog on any platform.

The good news: I finally had a chance to do a quick template edit in an attempt to work around the HTML noncompliance of Internet Explorer, which has been preventing IE users from using cut and paste. The bad news: The fix did not seem to work.

The fix consisted of adding an "outer wrapper" CSS box, which should have had no other effect on the appearance of the blog.

Since I have checked the new template on only one Windows machine using IE, I am interested in the following kinds of feedback: (1) Have there been any unintended side effects (e.g., appearance changes) on the blog? (2) Can anyone on IE actually cut and paste? I couldn't. (3) Can people using Mozilla or Firefox in Windows still cut and paste? (4) Has anyone anything else I can try to get past this annoying problem? I only hack around with CSS. I don't really know much about it.

-- CAV

Updates

Today: Problem is solved, I think. HT: Curtis Weeks.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gus,

These seem to fix the problem:

#outer_wrapper {position:relative;
border: 0px solid gray;
margin: 0px;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
background: #FFF;
}

#content{
position:abolute; left:0px;
color:#000;
background:transparent;
clear:left;
padding:2px;
margin-left:3%;
margin-right: 24%;
voice-family:"\"}\"";
voice-family: inherit;
width: 72%
}

#links{
float:right;
position:absolute;right:0px;
color:#333;
margin-right:3%;
width:20%;
background:#FFF;
top: 146px;
}

#container{
margin-left:2%;
margin-right:2%;
position:relative;top:0;left:0;
}


(NOTE: now that I think of it, I suppose that "px" ought to be added to the #container division's positioning attributes; but I tried it without and it worked though I haven't checked it with those.)

Anonymous said...

Incidentally... it works with the px's.

Plus, you don't need the "float:right" attribute in the links division.

When I had the same problem you've been having, I pieced together the solution from a couple places. The trick is in getting positioning attributes in the right places. So your main content division needs to sit within other divisions which are positioned. A "position:relative" can be used without setting left, right, top, or bottom, to help get this effect for IE. I think the only major changes I made were to the outer_wrapper and the container divisions?

Gus Van Horn said...

Thanks for stopping by, David and Curtis.

I put in the fixes you suggested, Curtis, and on the two Windows machines I tested, the appearance remained unchanged, which is good, but the inability to cut and paste -- specifically, to highlight a given portion of text -- remains elusive in IE. (It's fine in Firefox.)

I thought to check only the first of the IE's I tested. It was version 6.

Gus

Anonymous said...

Gus, something is not carrying over very well. It worked for me, but now that I check your site, it does not. (I'm using IE6 on Win98).

However, I once set up an experimental template on Blogger to help another person out, and I've uploaded the template I was working on for your site to see if it would work, and it does.

Check out the following link in IE:

Temp Experiment

or...

http://tempexperiments.blogspot.com/

You might be able to view the source and then copy/past the styles into your template. I suspect that I'm missing giving you all the codes, or something, although comparing the four divisions between them does not show a difference.

I'll erase the temp experiment after you've had a chance to check it out.

Gus Van Horn said...

Curtis,

I downloaded that and used sdiff to compare them. Two things came up: a float:right in my file not in yours (under links), which I deleted, and the fact that you had misspelled "absolute" in #content. I simply got rid of that and everything seems to be OK.

Thanks a bunch, once again, Curtis!

Gus

Anonymous said...

Ah, success! Works fine for me now.

Misspellings are hard to catch! (Incidentally, you probably don't need the "left:0px;" in #content now...)

C.

Mike's America said...

Your comments posting runs into the margin bar, but the page looks good otherwise.

Was able to cut and paste.

Gus Van Horn said...

Mike,

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll look into it the next time I get the chance.

And welcome! It's always good to see a new face!

Gus