New Blog Features

Sunday, May 14, 2006

I've had to do a lot lately to get my computers at home and at work up to speed for my new job, and so, in the spirit of getting as much of that sort of stuff out of the way as possible, I did some work on the "guts" of my blog today. Mainly, I finally got around to setting up the blog home site like I wanted to weeks ago on the free account I now have thanks to the Resident Egoist. Because of that account, it will now be much easier to do certain blog-related things, including a few new "behind the scenes" things I've wanted to try.

I'll just list a few of today's improvements here. More will come in the relatively near future, depending on my schedule, which remains somewhat in flux. After today, it will at least be easier to do the things I didn't get to do.

  • Moved most most of the material from that ad hoc "Online Resources" post (which always annoyed me) to actual web pages on the new host. I'll never have to edit stuff like that in Blogger again! Woo-hoo!
  • Greatly expanded and updated my list of favorite posts.
  • Started indexing some categories and series of posts (e.g., personal posts and the "Idiot Bumper Stickers" series).
  • Fixed, I think, the favicon display for Mo, my blog's mascot. You should now see a tiny version of this next to my blog's URL in the address bar if you use Firefox, and wherever favicons appear (if not in the same place) for Internet Explorer, which I can't check until tomorrow. I'd appreciate any feedback on this, although I may not respond to it in a timely fashion.
  • Finally moved Passing Thoughts and Myrhaf to the list of inactive blogs. This will, of course, be followed shortly by Myrhaf's announcement that he has returned to blogging.
  • Changed the name of the new blog over at The Objective Standard to its new name, Principles in Practice.
  • Fixed the URL for The Objectivism Metablog, which seemed to no longer need the "/blog/" anymore after its web hosting change.
Whew! That was a lot of effort! Mostly, it was grunt work, but it was the kind of drudgery that will save me lots of effort in the long haul.

For my readers, and for any new visitors, for that matter, I highly recommend perusing my list of favorite posts, which is on the same page as my personal posts. I am often pleasantly surprised to revisit what I have written to find that I still like it!

-- CAV

Updates

5-15-06: Fixed some bad wording. Removed one hyperlink.

No comments: