Quick Roundup 54

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

"Around the Web" to Move

If you're looking for my weekly roundup today, it will appear on Thursdays from now on. I'm making this change mainly because it will fit in better with the schedule at my new job. After I get settled in, I may move it back to Wednesdays.

Leonard Peikoff at Financial Sense News Hour

Commenter Jay recently pointed out that Leonard Peikoff will appear in a special guest interview about The Ominous Parallels at the site Financial Sense News Hour on May 13. The show will be archived here a day or so later.

OSS as "Code Collectivism"

Thanks to all the lefties who use open source software (OSS) and muddy the issues, some might wonder how an Objectivist can bring himself to use it. So I decided to answer a question on the subject. I used model railroaders as an example at one point. Bloggers would have been an even better one.

Some Angry Compassion

Craig Creely takes note of my recent misfortune at the hands of a sloppy clerk at Barnes and Noble. And after an absence of several weeks from blogging, the El Paso blogger has said quite a bit more, as well.

Evan Bayh vs. the Electoral College

Via Matt Drudge, a link to an interview with Democrat Presidential hopeful Evan Bayh shows that he opposes the Electoral College.

Q: Why do you think we should abolish the Electoral College?

A: "I think our president should be chosen by the majority of the American people. That is ordinarily the case. But in 2000, as we all recall, we elected this president with fewer votes than the other candidate got. I just don't think in the modern era that is appropriate."
WRONG! It sounds to me like Bayh ought to become more familiar with mathematician Alan Natapoff's work on the subject, which shows that despite changes in how we pick the Electors, the system is still a good idea. In fact, it preserves voting power despite the superficial appearance to the contrary.

Blogroll Addition

Mike, author of Passing Thoughts, has decided to move to a new blog, The Primacy of Awesome, where his friend Graig will also post. And today, Mike's review of the first issue of The Objective Standard appears. He even sticks his neck out to pick which articles are his favorites!

-- CAV

4 comments:

SecFox HQ said...

Gus,

Please keep your 'round the web summaries coming! You do a great job overall, period.!
Also, that's good news on Leonard's appearance.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning us!

Gus Van Horn said...

To Blair and Mike: "Thank you!" and "You're welcome!", respectively!

Gus

Gus Van Horn said...

David,

Thanks for making that point, as it is one I now wish I'd made (or could have made) myself!

I am familiar with and like a lot of Eric Raymond's essays. But de Raadt is a new name to me.

Gus