Death by Iron Fist, I Hope

Monday, July 31, 2006

I don't have much time to blog tonight, with it being late already and my wife getting ready to start another medical school rotation tomorrow morning. Nevertheless, I cannot let the potential for Fidel Castro's long-overdue demise go without comment!

Fidel Castro has apparently taken ill and will be in surgery soon for intestinal bleeding. He has ceded power to his younger brother, Raul, who is both more radical and less charismatic -- a bad combination for keeping the proles down.

According to Babalu Blog (which also posts numerous updates on the situation in Miami and a roundup of related posts), Castro may be out of commission for a couple of months! Val Prieto has seen too many unfortunate near-misses already to allow himself much optimism, but he expresses the following wishes for the dictator:

On a personal note, I truly hope the bearded dictator bleeds, as Henry put it to me just now, like a stuck pig and that today, July 31, 2006 is the beginning of Cuba's future.
All I can add to that is the sincere hope that Castro meets a fate much like Huey P. Long's: death by the incompetent hand of a surgeon he installed himself.

If freedom returns to Cuba as a result of this illness, it will make the inevitable fawning MSM eulogies of Castro and his "endurance" as a "world leader" almost bearable.

-- CAV

No comments: