Quick Roundup 106

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I've got your startup page right here!

If Joe Kellard's appreciation of my having found the list of his writing over at Capitalism Magazine is any indication, then my Objectivist readers should really enjoy the Matt Drudge-style link list I just completed last night.

And if you do, please return the favor by letting me know whether you spot any errors or omissions. For that matter, if there is a really good site you like that isn't listed, drop me a line. I am particularly interested in the following:

  • Objectivist intellectuals
  • active commentators who may be of interest to Objectivists (10 pieces, minimum)
  • active Objectivist clubs, including campus clubs
I think I have a good start on a sort of one-stop shop for Objectivists. With your help, it can be even better.

You will be able to access this list from here by clicking "Some Links" at the upper right, but I think it makes a decent startup page, if I say so myself. All it really needs is an RSS feed like Noumenal Self has in his sidebar and it'll be smoking!

And I do have a few other ideas for it, too.

Coalition of the Willing

I am guessing that Watcher's Council member Gavriel nominated a recent post of mine for the weekly roundup held at the conservative blog Watcher of Weasels. I appreciate the extra traffic and linkage this has already generated in the few hours the post has been up so far. Thanks!

Last Template Tweaks

I knocked an annoying two-pixel gap from between my sidebar and banner last night and changed a few links. I left alone the problem Software Nerd mentioned last week. I think that is a consequence of how I had to code the page to accommodate some deficiencies of Internet Explorer's processing of standard CSS markups. Fixing the problem would entail breaking other things as far as I can tell. Since the problem is subtle, I am leaving it alone, at least for now.

I checked the page on IE last night and it looks fine, but if you see that something is wrong, please let me know.

-- CAV

3 comments:

Gus Van Horn said...

David,

Evenjust composing a post can be frustrating at times for someone like me, who knows HTML and has to watch the editor "correcting" things when switching between modes.

Withe the template, I recall there being two items, called, I believe, "content" (in which the blog entries are displayed) and "links" (where the contents of my right sidebar live). In the code for the original template, these looked fine in Firefox, but ended up stacked end-to-end in IE. The fix was to place THESE in another "container", which made IE "realize" they were supposed to be side by side. What I think happens in IE is that it sets the length of the viewable area by whichever thing in the container I display first. In case blogrolling goes down, I load content first so as not to cause my readers undue delays. So it truncates the blogroll sometimes, which I'd rather it do than truncate an entry.

The problems I have in IE are annoying, but I can live with them, and this template is nicer than anything Blogger has to offer.

Gus

Anonymous said...

TIA Daily is a forum?

Gus Van Horn said...

Inspector,

Not quite. In the process of organizing the links, I placed a few things, like TIA Daily, in places they did not quite belong. I'll either rename the category "Electronic Media" or move TIA Daily into "publications" at some point.

Gus