Friday Four

Friday, August 23, 2013

1. If you like maps, head straight over to this collection of "40 Maps That Will Help You Make Sense of the World". My favorite was #23, which uses a map of the United States to visualize how much area a city containing the world's population would have to be, at various population densities. (For example, such a city would be the size of Texas if it were as densely populated as New York City.)

2. I guess this is why web designers get the big bucks:

The website should essentially be about the negative effects of drugs, the dark side, you know, the horrible truth of addiction and desperation. And, also; I want a picture of Gandalf on there somewhere.
3. Via reader Snedcat, a poster about consistency informs us that, "It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup." See his comment for links to more of these classic spoofs of motivational posters.

4. I haven't tried it, but I ran across a site that can convert your handwriting into a font.

-- CAV

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gus,

I couldn't let your callback to Snedcat's comment go unsaluted. Thanks Snedcat. That really made my (Fri)day!

c. andrew

Snedcat said...

Glad people liked my comment! Oddly enough, Friday was our anniversary and that came up just as I was leaving to meet my wife for dinner. A propos of nothing, really, but does remind me of an amusing exchange. She asked me if there are special anniversaries, and I told her about silver, gold, and diamond anniversaries but didn't remember the others. She asked if the 4th anniversary has a set gift, and I thought for a second and said, "Yeah. It's the dirty laundry anniversary." She laughed and said, "You mean the fist anniversary," and I replied, "In some traditions, possibly."

Turns out the 4th anniversary traditionally in the US is linen or silk, so in a way I was right.

Gus Van Horn said...

Happy anniversary!