Friday Four

Friday, August 29, 2014

1. I recently found Crabbie's Ginger Beer to be a perfect compliment to sitting on the porch with my family on a warm, sunny weekend, even though it is not strictly a beer. Here's an excerpt of a review from the Huffington Post:

Crabbie's, the UK's best-selling ginger beer, is finally available in the U.S., and we are quite pleased about it. This ginger beer is fermented, old-school style, and that method is reflected in the flavor -- slightly honeyed and floral, with way more complexity than we expected... [links removed]
I do disagree with the reviewers there on one thing: Ignore the serving suggestion printed on the label and just refrigerate it before pouring.

2. Scotland will be voting on independence soon, and this has some people wondering what the flag of the United Kingdom might look like without the cross of St. Andrew -- and then trying a few more interesting alternatives than merely altering the Union Jack.

The authors like a design incorporating the Tudor Rose, but I found their red-and-white flag featuring the Cross of St. George, the Red Hand of Ulster, and the Red Dragon of Wales somewhat compelling -- until I then smiled after the Hand caused me to remember an old Monty Python skit.

Yeah. Go with the Tudor Rose or, better yet, stick with the Union Jack, anyway.

3. This article, on why "Breaking A 'Pay-It-Forward' Chain ... [Is] Good Economics" has solved a minor mystery for me: That's why I had five bucks of the cost of a McDonald's order shaved off -- with no rhyme or reason -- by the driver ahead of me one morning a few weeks ago.

And learning about the self-delusive -- and yet sanctimonious -- attitude of the "pay-it-forward" crowd just gave me a chuckle and made that discount even more enjoyable.

4. Quote of the week:
My second childhood was kindly delivered to me by my children. This, I suspect, was no coincidence. Children know something that adults have forgotten -- something adults have to forget when they begin playing the great game of growing up and becoming someone. -- Mark Rowlands
HT: Vivek Haldar. But do we have to forget it, though? And what is it? I have at least a partial guess as to the answers to each question, thanks to my children and my favorite philosopher.

-- CAV

2 comments:

Vigilis said...

Gus, reagrding Dr. Adalja's calmative generalization of Ebola,
he speaks of medically controlled environments with adequate isolation and PCs already utilized with known carriers.

Imagine the end of the incubation period arriving while an unknown carrier has been a food server or attendant on a ship. The spread of Norovirus in a cruise ship setting has remained notorious for years.

Gus Van Horn said...

Editor's Note: This comment actually pertains to the 8-30-14 post.]

Vigilis,

True, but, as far as I know, people are not contagious with Ebola until they have symptoms, unlike for many other viral illnesses, including norovirus. A quick check of the WHO website seems to confirm this suspicion.

Gus