Obama's Measure of the GOP

Monday, January 12, 2015

Although the GOP now controls both houses, I doubt it will take advantage of either of two golden opportunities. I hope I am wrong, but I expect that, by 2016, (1) The President, unimpeached, will be the same one we have now; and (2) There will have been no meaningful attempt by the GOP to offer a free-market alternative to ObamaCare.

I suspect that Barack Obama shares my assessment of his opposition as less than weak, given that he has already proposed a new entitlement program -- two "free" years of college for anyone the government deems "responsible":

In our growing global economy, Americans need to have more knowledge and more skills to compete -- by 2020, an estimated 35 percent of job openings will require at least a bachelor's degree, and 30 percent will require some college or an associate's degree. Students should be able to get the knowledge and the skills they need without taking on decades' worth of student debt.
I can't see the Republicans, unable to attack ObamaCare on substantive grounds, offering any meaningful opposition to this proposal, which plays to the idea of America competing in the world marketplace, while, in fact, further undermining her educational marketplace.

-- CAV

No comments: