Soon: Cheap Sit-Stand Desks?

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Quick, page Dr. Ioannidis! Yet another piece of over-hyped health advice is being called into question:

Sitting down is no worse for you than standing up as long as you take regular exercise, a study has claimed, casting doubt on the health benefits of sit-stand work stations.

The research by British academics also challenged advice from the country's National Health Service (NHS) based on other studies stating that "remaining seated for too long is bad for your health, regardless of how much exercise you do".
Although I have never been sold on the idea that sitting is deadly, I have long found doing so for long periods extremely uncomfortable. Consequently, I have been glad of all the attention standing desks have gotten over the past few years. I hope to benefit from the fad before it dies down, preferably by obtaining an adjustable desk on the cheap. Actually, now that I think of it, a quick death would possibly even lower my costs as people unloaded their desks.

I won't hold my breath, though because such notions die hard.

-- CAV

No comments: