Early/Sick/Snowy Weekend

Friday, January 22, 2016

Editor's Note: I'm posting this week's "Weekend Reading" a day early due to illness. Since I caught this from my son, I expect to be better by around Tuesday. But I'm also in the bull's eye of that blizzard the news is making a big fuss over. I have a reserve post in the queue for Monday, but if you don't hear from me on Tuesday, and the Baltimore/DC area is especially paralyzed, you'll have an idea of why.

Weekend Reading

"At this point, you might form the impression that the refusal properly to identify and define ... the Islamist movement (let alone criticize it) is confined to leftist politicians and intellectuals." -- Elan Journo, in "Ignoring the Islamist Menace" at Times of Israel

"Whenever you come across a metaphor like wealth effect, I encourage you to ask what is actually happening." -- Keith Weiner, in "The Bull Market in Stocks May Be Done" at SNB & CHF

"[W]hen you hear somebody putting down ego, remember that they are actually attacking reality and self-preservation." -- Michael Hurd, in "The War Against the Self" at The Delaware Wave

"[C]ountless negative emotions and psychological problems can arise because of guilt -- specifically, unearned guilt." -- Michael Hurd, in "'It Must Be Nice' and Other Invitations to Feel Guilty" at The Delaware Coast Press

-- CAV

Updates

1-23-16
: Corrected a typo and a formatting error.

No comments: