Friday Hodgepodge

Friday, September 21, 2018

Four Things

1. One day, on the way home from school, I was privy to the following exchange:

Coming soon, to a piggy bank near you! (Image via Pixabay.)
My Son (5): I'm going to put my money in a piggy bank so nobody can find it.

My Daughter (7): Bandits can just pop open the top and find it, anyway.

As it turns out, Pumpkin had decided that a wiser course was to use her bank for unspecified "school supplies," instead.

2. Also overheard: My daughter apparently thinks that there are "no boyfriends and no freckles in college."

No. I haven't the foggiest what that means and I was too busy at the moment to ask.

3. On the way to their annual check-ups, my son, attempted to avert the potential calamity of (shudder) a shot by means of disinformation.

"Daddy," he said from the back seat. "I've got to tell you something. The doctor is closed."

"Really? Well, I heard they might be open. We'll find out who's right in a couple of minutes," I replied, after -- caught off-guard -- I burst out laughing.

4. About a year ago, I had a near-nightly bedtime ritual: My kids enjoyed me pretending at bedtime that one of them was a pillow and the other a blanket as I pretended to go to sleep. Then they'd start moving around and making noise, causing me to feign surprise at the discovery that they were not, in fact, the bedding items I'd hoped for. My wife has video of it somewhere.

-- CAV

8 comments:

Dinwar said...

I do the same with my kids randomly. My middle child (3) always yells (between giggles) "Daddy! I am not a pillow!" My other kids just squirm away and climb on me, using ME as a pillow.

Gus Van Horn said...

I still do from time to time, but it's a relief not to be asked EVERY time. I am sometimes quite exhausted when they're headed to bed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gus,

It has to be said;

"We like to hop, we like to hop, we like to hop on top of Pop!"

c andrew

Gus Van Horn said...

True! And as I read to Pumpkin when she was tiny...

Anonymous said...

Your son is cute, not wanting to go to the doctor by saying it’s closed. The funny thing is
not all of us outgrow animous towards the doctor. My 86 year old father who is currently on dialysis demanded I call the kidney center and tell them he wasn’t in the mood to go to his scheduled treatment. And In the same breath he said it helps him a lot!!! But I should still call anyway and tell them he can’t make it.

At the start of dialysis he was incredibly hostile. I call it the old geezer syndrome. But because it’s doing what his kidneys no longer do, he is in much better shape. Go figure.

Bookish Babe

Gus Van Horn said...

BB,

I like "Old Geezer Syndrome." I have it, but in other ways.

My wife, by the way, agrees with me that he might look like her on the outside, but he's all me on the inside.

Gus

Snedcat said...

Yo, Gus, you relate: My daughter apparently thinks that there are "no boyfriends and no freckles in college."

One possibility is somehow she heard of the advice of two of my female classmates when I was a first-year ling grad student: "No boyfriends studying folklore in college." I don't know what the trigger for that was, but I mentioned it to a friend who was a folklorist and a linguist (and also a bit of an internationally recognized expert on Tolkien), and he said they were very wise women, especially given the specimens at our university. European folklorists have to meet the usual standards of academic competence, he added, but American folklorists don't: While we in linguistics had to show reading ability in French, German, and Russian, he said that many American folklorists would have difficulty demonstrating reading ability in English.

Gus Van Horn said...

If I believe my son, who's constantly claiming to have heard things "while in Mommy's tummy" from even before he was conceived, that's a distinct possibility.