Friday Hodgepodge

Friday, October 11, 2019

Four Things

Several years ago, I decided that each Friday, I'd take a break from the negativity of the news cycle and make a list of four things I find interesting or enjoyable. I still do that most weeks. But recently, I started ending each day (or starting the next morning) by making a list of three wins, big or small, from the day. Here are four of those from the past month, excluding (a) the lack of a visit from Hurricane Dorian, (b) my good time hustling art with my son, and (c) my discovery of a way to finally get the garage clear of moving boxes...

1. On the anniversary of my father's death, I remembered, "I was very lucky to have Pops as a dad."

Image by Jan Kolar, via Unsplash, license.
2. While we were visiting with my brother in another part of Florida, I took a look at the house with a Nest camera, and heard an Echo/Alexa alarm going off. We used to use the Nest cameras as child monitors and I remembered that it's possible to speak into the phone app and be heard through a small speaker built into the camera. So I tried to silence the alarm by saying, "Alexa, stop!"

It didn't work, probably because the sound quality from the Nest camera isn't great and it was sitting across the living room from the Echo. It was fun to try, though.

3. For ages, I have had a chronic problem completing my weekly review, during which I had scheduled looking at all my project tracking files.

So I set aside an entire Friday afternoon to accomplish this.

If by "fail," you mean I still didn't make it through them all, I failed. But I did get through quite a few, and more important, I saw a better way to do this part of the weekly review: Just do a few each week and note where I left off. Pick up there the next week and repeat.

Now, I know I'll at least look at everything from time to time, no matter how many things I am tracking.

4. We took the kids to Disney last weekend. At one point, while standing in line, I heard my six-year-old son's voice. He was frustrated and upset about something.

That something was that he'd managed to trap his arm between the metal frame of a movie poster and a guard rail.

I tried moving his arm vertically, in case he'd inserted it through a slightly wider part of the gap, then tried to pull out from a narrow part. No dice.

So quickly I am still amazed, I realized that (a) I needed to lubricate his arm, and (b) that water is a lubricant.

"Stop panicking," I said to my son. "Do you have some water," I asked my wife.

Using the bottle she produced from the bowels of her backpack, I moistened his arm and immediately got it out, earning applause from a foreign tourist behind us.

-- CAV

P.S.: It was fun reviewing my wins for the month. This has been a part of my day I look forward to, and I highly recommend this practice.

Updates

Today
: Corrected wording in Items 2 and 3.

4 comments:

Snedcat said...

Yo, Gus, No. 4 reminds me a little of our latest grandparenting success. The coasters my wife brought back from Australia decades ago after she finished her master's disappeared recently, so we knew it was probably the doing of our grandson, who is at the age or stage where he loves to hide things, though he doesn't seem to remember where he hid them. We brought him over today (he lives in the apartment next to ours; we have a common entryway, but during the week he lives with his other grandparents to go to nursery school) and he seemed rather scared when my wife asked him where they were, so I grabbed my little flashlight and asked him to help me look for them. We went all around looking under and behind everything and didn't find them (my suspicion is he thought they were like my CDs and shelved them neatly in one of my CD shelves, so good luck finding them in short order), but he stopped being afraid of getting punished. We're just afraid that the instant he gets out of that stage, his sister will enter it, and then we'll really be in trouble. Or worse, they'll team up...

Gus Van Horn said...

Snedcat,

"[H]e seemed rather scared when my wife asked him where they were..."

Guilty.

This is hilarious, and reminds me of my son, who starts tiptoeing and otherwise telegraphing when he's trying to do something he's not so sure I'd be happy about. At times it's hard not to burst out laughing, but I screw myself together well enough to issue a stern-sounding, "What are you up to?"

My son sometimes smuggles candy into his room. I've found little stashes in odd spots without even trying, like when putting his clothes away. That's probably a decent second guess.

Hope you find those coasters...

Gus

Snedcat said...

Yo, Gus, you write, "Hope you find those coasters..."

Turns out one was inside an exercise device of my wife's. The other is still lurking somewhere.

The other thing he is fascinated by now is binder clips. When I'm working, he comes in and takes a binder clip from my odds-and-ends tray and spends minutes just clipping papers together. Oh, the other other thing he's interested in right now is snakes, also lizards, which he says are the same thing. I'm guessing he's working his way up to dinosaurs.

Gus Van Horn said...

Hah! No tape dispenser that my son knows about is safe. Also, he likes clothespins, which have the added bonus of being easy to take apart, mark and make other things out of. (I use them to close bags of chips, for example.)

Pumpkin is the family naturalist,so far. She has enjoyed the weird birds in our pond and keeps an eye out for alligators.