Pen and Paper -- or Electrons? Yes.

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Also, you can't wad up a bad electronic draft. (Image by Lauren Mancke, via Unsplash, license.)
A recent Cal Newport post about using plain text files to block out time drew the following comment:
Great technique, but I think using the traditional paper and pen will be more convenient. As you don't have to update the file from your computer or phone after every time blocking session.
This person may simply find that pen and paper work better for his tastes and circumstances than computers, but he comes across as hasty in dismissing the value of using electronic devices for planning.

Who says you have to clumsily enter notes into a phone? I do most of my tracking electronically, but I absolutely hate typing -- or editing a voice transcript -- on a phone. (And that doesn't even get to cases where you might need to make a sketch or draw a simple diagram.) Generally, I jot down notes on paper for later review if all I have is a phone. I can summarize them in my "space planner" later. Or, if the paper notes are extensive and important enough, I can scan them in and link to the copy from there.

But overall, the comment reminds me of something I have observed time and time again in discussions like this: Someone has such a strong preference for one method (or technology) that he will exhibit a lack of appreciation for another when there is a choice that could actually enhance his ability to use his preferred method.

I like using computer-aided planning in large part because it makes backups and later retrieval easier -- but I incorporate paper-based methods when they make sense. I could conversely see someone like the above commenter sticking to paper, but scanning in his annotated planners and other notes on a regular basis. This would add permanent backups and possibly also ease of later retrieval to his arsenal.

I find personal productivity advice to be very much like diet and fitness advice: Highly particular to the individual. Critical thinking -- More convenient? When? For what? For whom? -- and a willingness to experiment and change when needed, will pay off much more handsomely than simply taking someone else's word on how to be productive.

I use a technique similar to the one Newport discusses, but I do appreciate the reminder to keep paper handy for some tasks.

-- CAV

2 comments:

Dinwar said...

I've long had an issue with Newport's advice, and I think you hit the nail on the head: this sort of advice is VERY individualistic. It involves a lot of aspects, including personality (some thrive on chaos, some on deep concentration), business type (some jobs are more amenable to long-term planning than others), weather, and more. How you deal with these is something that each person needs to figure out.

For me, I prefer to have a list of tasks, with fluid ranks of priority. Work on the top priority first, and work your way down--with the understanding that priorities can change from moment to moment. This method requires much more upfront planning, and an existing deep understanding of the tasks you're working on. It would drive someone like Newport insane, but then attempting to live my life on a block schedule would get me fired.

At the end of the day you need to do what's best for you.

Gus Van Horn said...

I think even people doing the same KIND of work can thrive under different approaches to planning, which your mention of thriving on chaos reminded me of. There are people who, for example, seem to need, for psychological reasons we probably won't understand any time soon, to NEED a deadline to perform, or at least perform efficiently.

The variety is problematic at first for someone wanting advice on improving their own organization or efficiency -- at least until they see enough advice that it dawns on them to begin experimenting. Lots of people do great things with highly variable work styles. Part is due to the differing nature of the work, and part due to personality differences.