Altruistic Myopia vs. Safe Driving

Thursday, February 04, 2021

Paul Ingraham himself tags his post as "ranty," but it struck a nerve some time ago and captures pretty well my own frustration with a type of driver. We have all found ourselves stuck behind this one, often after having to stop suddenly. Ingraham charitably calls them, "Excessively Polite Drivers," but I personally find them somewhere between stupid and rude.

But we both agree they are very unsafe:

Image by Harry Knight, via Unsplash, license.
Stop trying to prove your decency to pedestrians and cyclists by yielding your right of way to us when we are waiting to cross a street. You have to knock that shit off.

This may come as a surprise to you, but there are other vehicles coming the other way, or roaring up behind you, who don't know (or care) why the fuck you are stopping. By waiting for us, you are putting everyone at risk, you included, but us most of all. Accidents happen when traffic is unpredictable, and you are forcing us to make a snap decision about whether or not it is safe to cross when we do not have the right of way, at the same time that you have made the whole thing less predictable. [his italics, my bold]
Ingraham has the safety angle covered, and he gets painfully close to the source of the problem when he pleads for these drivers to "[s]top trying to prove your decency" to those pitiful souls at the crosswalks.

Such drivers -- who emphatically include those who slam the brakes or even swerve (!) for animals -- may well be trying to appear to others to be magnanimous, but the people they are really trying to convince are themselves.

I blame altruism, with its never-justified injunction that our purpose in life is to serve our fellow man.

I have spoken of altruism as a mental kill-switch before, but it goes deeper than I was speaking of at the time.

People severely crippled by altruism will be so focused on the immediate, apparent, possible need of others that that will become their first and only concern. Yes: The fact that someone who might want to cross a street is at the crosswalk, here and now, becomes that person's central focus and moral imperative -- even to the point that, yes, it is a surprise that other vehicles (which are "privileged" anyway), are on the road; or that their range-of-the-moment grandstanding for that lone individual's safe passage is, in fact, making things less safe for everyone.

When one has to sacrifice, to treat every random need of every random stranger like an emergency, of course one isn't going to think long-range or make otherwise obvious connections.

Ethics is advice for how to live one's life: It should hardly be surprising that a deficient-enough ethical system could cause difficulties even with such simple tasks as driving within a sensible and agreed-upon system of rights-of-way.

Having said that, the post contains updates, including heartening affirmations by other frustrated drivers and cautions that some legal systems are encouraging or mandating such stupid behavior. The latter is hardly surprising, given that such laws are usually demanded by voters, most of whom will follow the dominant, altruistic ethics of the culture when considering how they wish themselves and, most of all, others to be governed.

-- CAV

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gus,

Abso-friggin-lutely!

I drive for a living and do my best to be courteous, but these virtue signalling drivers are a menace! If the traffic column is stopped or going extremely slowly, as in a traffic jam, I will make room for drivers coming into the traffic stream from other roads or out of parking lots. But once the light changes to green and the column starts to move, no dice.

The other problem is that if you are on a multi-lane road, YOU (the virtue signalling driver) might be letting them come out, but if they are moving across the other lanes, other drivers, who won't see the object of your charity, are moving along, not expecting the sudden emergence of a new automotive obstacle. Andsuddenly, someone gets to make a new acquaintance that day.

I can't count the number of times I've been stopped by just such behavior and look in my mirror to see the driver behind me barreling up at traffic speed, cuz he sees the green light and knows of no earthly reason why the traffic column won't start moving in accord with the traffic control signal. In such cases, I flip on my hazards and hope to all the traffic deities that my 'carma' will intercede and I won't be making a new acquaintance that day.

If it is particularly egregious or dangerous, I WILL lean on my horn.

c andrew

Gus Van Horn said...

C.,

I pretty much do what you describe in bad traffic.

Someone on Twitter mentioned another car-to-car annoyance: People who let others in out-of-turn at traffic circles. That's nuts. If I have ever seen that, it was once, and it may have been someone texting, i.e., not being the kind of lousy driver I described.

The whole freaking reason traffic circles became viable AT ALL is because someone realized that yielding to traffic ALREADY IN the circle (and not vice versa) keeps thing flowing well.

Gus

Snedcat said...

Yo, Gus, speaking as an inveterate pedestrian, I completely agree. If I'm crossing the street, then I have observed the traffic and timed it to get across once all the cars are out of the way. I don't know how many times I've groaned because some dip decides to slow down in such a way that all my mental calculations are thrown out of whack. It always makes me want to shake them by the shoulders and say, "I know what I'm doing! Don't screw things up with your help!"

Gus Van Horn said...

Snedcat,

I'm with you there.

And even aside from safety issues, it is a pet peeve for me when I am a pedestrian to have a car do this, since it wastes both of our time: The driver's, because of slowing down, stopping, waiting for me to recalculate and cross, and then resuming; and mine because instead of him passing me in a split second and me simply crossing the street, I probably at least doubled the amount of time it otherwise would have taken to cross the street because I need to be sure he's really stopping, check that things haven't otherwise changed, and then cross. All that and a big scoop of awkward on top.

Gus

Anonymous said...

Hi Gus, Snedcat,

Ditto pulling out from a stop sign onto a more major road. Their attempt to 'help' is anything but and it really does screw with your timing. I've also seen where they speed up to make sure you can't pull out, even if you're going cross traffic and won't be in front of them, and then slow down once they've closed the distance. That really messes with your timing.

I was delivering to a customer in an industrial/business park that employs roundabouts. As I was approaching the (2 lane) roundabout, the car in front of me came to a dead stop for no apparent reason. I checked my mirrors and moved lanes. As I went around the circle, I realized why she had stopped. The building she wanted to go to was 90 degrees to the left. Instead of following the circle 270 degrees around and exiting right, she turned left into the roundabout. All sorts of hilarity ensued when she encountered the oncoming traffic that was doing the correct rotation.

Oy Vey!

c andrew