Friday Hodgepodge

Friday, October 22, 2021

Four Things

1. Among my birthday cards this year was this, with picketers who intentionally or not manage very well to humorously sum up the state of current political discourse as well as its end result. "Ban shredded cheese!" and "Make America grate again!" the picketers say.

The card from my mother pictured a dinosaur and the caption, At least you're not extinct.. On opening, I found the word, Yet.

The first card is more topical for this blog, but I like my mom's sense of humor, so hers is my favorite.

2. Yesterday, I dusted off a recipe I hadn't made in a long time. Everyone, the kids included, really enjoyed Cat Cora's Greek Cinnamon Stewed Chicken, served over orzo.

This is excellent, and the only reason I can think of for why I wasn't making it fairly regularly before is that it's labor-intensive and messy enough that past me probably didn't want to fool with it when the kids were younger -- and also labor-intensive and messy!

3. Over at Irreal, the proprietor describes the working arrangements of an Apple employee he calls "the first remote worker:"

For various reasons, which are described in the podcast, [Paul] Lutus[, who developed Apple Writer for the Apple II,] was living in a cabin in the Oregon woods. Before he got the Apple II in 1976, he didn't even have electricity -- he had to run what amounted to a 1,200 foot extension cord to a construction box that he talked the utility company into installing.
His backup system was no less rustic.

4. I belatedly commemorate the untimely passing of comedian Norm Macdonald by sharing his moth joke, as told to Conan O'Brien in the embedded video below.


Watch with patience and enjoy! (That said, it doesn't take the entire six minutes and change for him to tell the joke.)

-- CAV

3 comments:

Snedcat said...

Yo, Gus, good cards. The best are the ones you hone to a fine point yourself. Like the one I got my sister for her birthday one year that had a windsurfer on the front, "To a free spirit." Inside I wrote, "Well, a cheap one anyway."

A good one not needing personalization I remember from decades ago was one my mother got my father. On the front it had a pretty woman in cheesecake pose and the words, "If you think you're going to get to caress my flawless, jade-white skin, think again." Inside it said, "I have freckles."

Snedcat said...

Incidentally, for a happy Friday, here's a good Korean song with a video about soccer success. (Technically speaking, the duo, The Peppertones, are not K-Pop; they're a particular type of indie music, meaning not signed to the three locally powerful media companies in Korea. Before about 2008, indie music in Korea was very punk and very opposed to anything savoring of the treacle you had in the 70s and 80s before censorship of foreign music ended in 1996. However, 2008, besides financial crisis, was also about the time online music platforms took off with the demand for music for offices. The sort of "midstream" indie music this gave a market drew on the better parts of popular music without the overblown spectacle, high-flown words, and quite often pure schlock of K-Pop, and these guys are the best I've encountered. They're such a success that they do songwriting for other acts as well, though they save their best stuff for themselves. --Heh, I edited a long long paper recently on Korean music since 1996 and took extensive notes for private use. Can you tell?)

Gus Van Horn said...

Snedcat,

Ouch! Your family personalizes cards in almost the exact opposite way my wife does.

I always just pick a good one and sign it. I probably look thoughtless next to my wife, and like one honey of a guy next to your folks!

Gus