Column: With Permanent Daylight Savings Time, Careful What You Wish For

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Image by Chroki Chi, via Unsplash, license.
On the Ides of March, a friend sent me an image of a knife in a bottle of Caesar salad dressing. By coincidence, I also heard that the Senate took a knife to partisan bickering, science denial, and clock-switching in one fell swoop. A bill that would establish permanent Daylight Saving Time (DST) passed unanimously and without debate.

The bill polls well. Its sponsors insist they are on the side of "strong science," claiming the time change leads to higher rates of "heart attacks, car accidents and pedestrian accidents."

Americans groggy from switching their clocks -- myself included -- cheered the impending end of this hated ritual. What's not to like?...

To continue reading my latest column, please proceed to RealClear Markets.

I would like to thank my wife and Steve D for their comments on earlier versions of this piece.

-- CAV

No comments: