Phone Ringer: The Bell Tolls for Thee

Thursday, December 01, 2022

Imagine if every person in the world had the ability, at their arbitrary whim, to anonymously activate your fire alarm inside your home. That is the reality of the telephone. There is nothing quite as rude as the telephone. -- Jim Fisher

***

Image by Robert Linder, via Unsplash, license.
I'm old enough to remember telephone etiquette changing with the advent of the answering machine. At first, lots of people thought it was rude to make people listen to a recorded message if you weren't around.

But within a year or so, most people were on board with the idea when the many advantages of being able to leave a message became more obvious. After that and prices coming down, if you didn't have an answering machine, you risked seeming rude or out of touch.

In that vein, some recent advice by Judith Martin caused me to realize that text messaging, in addition to obviating most voice messages and many kinds of short calls, might finally also banish the ringer -- that scourge of the information age -- to the dustbin of history, where it belongs.

The reader does not like texts amounting to Call me when you can for reasons that remind me of the pre-answering-machine era, despite the reliance on voice messages:
I think if a person wants to speak with me, they should call. If I am available, I will answer. If not, they can leave a message and I will call them back. The text method feels like they are putting the burden of initiating the call on me, when they are the ones who want to speak with me.
I am far from slapping myself on the back, here, though, because I myself have bristled at such texts because I, too, focused on the "burden."

I was wrong to do, as Miss Manners makes clear:
[T]he text is less intrusive -- and therefore more respectful -- than barging in on someone, assuming constant availability.
Yes, but again, I -- who have complained before about how useless ringers are these days -- must admit that I still missed the brilliance of that multiple times.

The unseen benefit to me here is the lack of an annoying distraction, the ringer. (Unless I expect to hear from someone, I mute my cell phone ringer and text notifications, and batch-review for important messages a few times a day.) In addition, many text apps have an option to call in reply, which is perfect for such messages, and especially those times you receive such a text in real time, as I have.

Many thanks to Miss Manners for pointing that out: I won't look at such messages the same way again, and will use this device myself in the future for all but calls to parties that expect them, or for time-sensitive matters.

My title to the contrary, the ringer isn't obsolete, of course, but its intrusiveness and ease of abuse seem close to being solved.

-- CAV

P.S. If I recall correctly, Google Voice can be made to intercept calls to land lines, permitting voice messages with transcription. If so, I'll do this so I can have a superior alternative to the expedient of unplugging my land line when I need to concentrate.

2 comments:

Dinwar said...

I'm going to disagree with you and Miss Manners. Someone texting the equivalent of "Call me when you can" is incredibly rude. As the recipient I have no idea why they want me to call them. It may be that someone was in an accident and needs medical attention, or it may be because they want to ask if I want to go to dinner tonight. (One of my jobs is safety officer on a complex construction site so the former is a real possibility.) I have no way of knowing and therefore no way to determine the urgency. I've also found that even texting "What do you need to talk about?" isn't helpful--the typical response of such people is to merely reiterate that they wanted me to call them.

The polite thing to do--since you're initiating communication anyway--is to provide at least a minimal amount of information about what you want to discuss. "Call me when you can, I want to discuss tonight's schedule" is easy enough to type on a modern phone, and allows me to determine how high a priority this is. Realistically I CAN--in the sense of being physically able to do so--make time almost any time. I've walked out of meetings to take calls before, when the situation warranted. But without knowing what the discussion is going to be about there's no way for me to determine how high a priority to assign it.

Withholding information necessary for someone to make a decision is, if not outright deception, not very far from it. Withholding information and expecting me to evaluate the information you're withholding is belligerently insulting. The types of people I've seen do this are the type who seek power over others, and use such texts as a method for exercising power. YOU get to dance to THEIR tune, and they get to control all the information. The attitude--in this and in their other actions--is very much "You come when called, dog."

(I will happily admit that my sample is biased and hardly the result of systematic study, of course. Construction and construction-adjacent fields tend to attract a certain kind of person, and "arrogant" is among the kinder adjectives used to describe them.)

Gus Van Horn said...

Dinwar,

CMWYC and giving a reason aren't mutually exclusive, and I think your idea to give a reason is excellent -- and mandatory, I would think, for calls to people one doesn't communicate with regularly enough (unlike, say, a spouse or family member).

In the end, an unmotivated text and a ring out of the blue do commit the same infraction: Stealing someone's focus and wasting their attention.

Gus