Column: Egg Price Debate Hides Guilt and Scheming On Both Sides

Tuesday, March 07, 2023

"A dozen large eggs, $5.33 at Walmart," my mother texted from Mississippi. "Thanks, Joe," and, "Half of America voted for that," my brothers replied in turn. Suddenly, I recalled those "I did that" stickers on gas pumps. At least most people understand that printing fiat money causes inflation. I'm no fan of Biden, either, but I couldn't join the pile on Biden for reasons I will explain.

Image by Erol Ahmed, via Unsplash, license.
I cannot forget Trump's inflationary policies so I can’t blame all the inflation on his successor. Senators like Ted Cruz (R-TX) might tweet about "#Bidenflation" and Roger Wicker (R-MS) might use the term on his official web site, but they're both wrong.

Did you know that Trump and Biden were responsible for double digit percent monthly increases in the money supply from February 2020 to February 2022? Or that Trump was responsible for 2/3 of the six trillion in pandemic spending -- and wanted more? I'm sure Republican lawmakers would like you to forget. You should ask yourself why...

To continue reading my latest column, please proceed to RealClear Markets.

I would like to thank my wife, my father-in-law, and Steve D. for comments on earlier versions of this piece.

-- CAV

No comments: