Four Moving-In Wins

Friday, January 26, 2024

A Friday Hodgepodge

1. We're enjoying our larger, much less-cluttered house, and -- since we have a dining ROOM instead of just a dining area, that table stays clear -- which has lent itself to nightly dining there and, in turn to one of my favorite pastimes, cards.

The kids are finally old enough to be interested in card games, and able to play them well enough that we now sometimes play spades after dinner.

Image by Kowloonese, via Wikimedia Commons, public domain.
2. Citrus grows here on the Gulf Coast, and a tree of a pomelo-citron hybrid called the "ponderosa lemon" grows in our yard.

It produces fruit year-round and makes an interesting lemonade. Most who have sampled it say it tastes ... like lemonade. But I get a hint of grapefruit.

One day after we juiced a bunch of these and made the lemonade, my daughter decided it should be named "ponderade".

3. With us being in New Orleans, it was only a matter of time -- in this case, on my first trip to the nearest grocery store -- before I'd find a good hole-in-the-wall place that makes great food. A seafood and sandwich shop, only a few blocks away, makes a great muffuletta, and we're going to have one -- yes, a single one of these is huge -- and some shrimp for dinner tonight.

4. Silver lining first: I now know where the nearest urgent care clinic is. It's oddly-situated, and I'm glad I was only having to put pressure on a wound with one hand while I drove. (And I'll be glad to know exactly where it is if I ever need it again.)

Glass doors and I don't get along, and I am relieved that the one I walked into was tempered glass, and that my eyeglasses cut me where they did. I went in because the bleeding hadn't stopped after 15 minutes of constant pressure.

I am also glad the nurse practicioner on duty used glue rather than stitches to close and protect the wound. I won't have to go back to have stiches removed, and I shouldn't have a bad scar.

(On reviewing this, I think I'll add Find and drive to nearest urgent care clinic to my list of things to do the next time I have to relocate.)

-- CAV

No comments: