Four Computing Finds

Friday, July 26, 2024

A Friday Hodgepodge

This week, I piggyback on my weekly review for a short, quick post...

1. I was surprised to learn recently that there are lots of garbage flash cards floating around out there. Fortunately, there is f3, a software that can test performance and capacity of same.

F3?

It stands for fight flash fraud.

Image by Standard Books, via download page for The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, public domain.
2. Foliate is billed by one tech reviewer as "the best eBook reader for Linux."

I plan to try it the next time I download something from Standard Books.

3. Do you work with PDFs a lot? A technical writing site explains how to link to specific pages of a PDF from HTML.

Naturally, I wondered if there was a way to do this in Emacs org-mode and learned about a way to do so.

4. The next time I have image-heavy work to do, I might look into lsix, a Linux utility that operates like ls, but provides thumbnails of any images.

It may sound redundant, given that there are plenty of file browsers that do this, but at least two things about this tool appeal to me. First, it runs in the terminal, so no need to context-switch or wait for another application to fire up, and second, for large numbers of images, it displays them a few at a time, so there is not need to wait for every single thumbnail to be created before looking for the right one.

Interestingly, it shows individual frames of animated gif files.

-- CAV

No comments: