In-Car Manners Make for Safer Driving

Thursday, August 29, 2024

Miss Manners takes a question from someone who is beleaguered with unhelpful advice from passengers when behind the wheel. (This includes stupid comments about where to park, but somewhat surprisingly, nothing I could tell about how to park.)

Image by John Matychuk, via Unsplash, license.
Is there something else I should be saying?

GENTLE READER: "Let's make a rule: When I am driving -- unless I'm about to run someone over -- I get to navigate and figure out parking. When you drive, you can."
This is the perfect reply, but for Judith Martin's modesty in not mentioning that it will make for safer driving because of the lower stress levels and distraction that it will bring about. (I say this as someone who will take a slightly slower route if it is significantly less stressful.)

The last thing anyone needs is to drive distracted (in a parking lot of all places!) because of an annoying kibitzer.

-- CAV

No comments: