Four Wins

Friday, October 04, 2024

A Friday Hodgepodge

Whenever possible, I list three wins at the end of each day. Here are a few from a recent review of my planner.

***

1. I'll start with a win for today. By leveraging a log review for blogging purposes, I caught myself letting a tax matter fall through the cracks.

We could have already been done, but getting it done today is great, too.

Chalk another one up for regular log reviews. And blogging. And multi-purposing things.

2. This one's good for the awwwwww! factor alone: Our new kitten sometimes sleeps on my pillow next to my head.

Image by Yunus Tuğ, via Unsplash, license.
3. The kids are no longer toddlers and I needed a new grill after the move.

That was only ever going to mean one thing: I'm back to grilling with charcoal!

As I've said before, gas is more convenient in a lot of respects, but the taste with charcoal is superior, and I enjoy using charcoal more.

4. I enjoyed seeing Arsenal dig in and win 4-2 after Leicester City scored two goals out of thin air during a short span of the second half.

My favorite commentator on Arsenal, Peter Wood, does well to describe the overall performance and impressive reaction to the setback:
The team didn't play the victim. There was no panic in the system. They just accepted the job was to score, and they pummelled that task hardcore.

It was a destruction zone out there -- but the Leicester keeper Hermansen was putting on a worldie, and it really did start to feel like they weren't going to find a way. Then it arrived in the 94th minute. From a corner, the ball found Trossard at the back post, he put it back into the danger zone, and it was turned in by Leicester. Three minutes later, Kai Havertz capitalised on a poor clearance and made it 4.

36 shots. 16 on target. 4.62 xG. This was a battering of exceptional proportions...
I remember talking with another fan before halftime about how solidly the Gunners were in control of the game, and then how they just kept on with it.

If anything has struck me more than the impressive record the team has amassed over the last couple of years under Mikel Arteta, it has been the mentality behind it.

-- CAV

No comments: