Four Random Things

Friday, July 10, 2026

A Friday Hodgepodge

Screen capture by the author.
1. If you like Wordle, one "pompomsheep" at Hacker News is developing a timed word-solving game called 18 Words. As of this morning, the game gives you 30 seconds to solve words of increasing length and presents your score, in shareable form, for the 18.

2. A recent post at GeekPress notes that $180,000 isn't a "living wage" in San Francisco, reminding me of my move, soon after the 2008 financial crisis, to Boston.

Still reeling from the sticker shock of moving from a three bedroom house ten minutes away from work in Houston for $1000 a month -- to an apartment the size of a matchbox in Boston for $3500 a month -- I would regularly meet people at biotech networking events who had just moved from San Francisco to save money!

On the positive side, since my wife needed to be within a short commute to the hospital for her residency, we were able to ditch our cars altogether since that part of town was very walkable and well-served by subways.

3. On long road trips, my wife and I enjoy listening to audiobooks. Unfortunately, our road trips are usually far shorter than they used to be, now that we're New Orleanians. A possible remedy for us might be The Escape Pod, a science fiction podcast for short stories. (Based on a cursory look, they seem to be in the 30-60 minute range.)

I learned about the Escape Pod by reading and enjoying "Why I Left Harry's All-Night Hamburgers," which I recommend.

And yes, each story is available for reading at the site.

4. If, as I do, you occasionally take a "liver holiday," you might want to peruse this article and discussion on what makes a good mocktail.

-- CAV

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like mocktailes there are a few that I regularly drink and can heartily recommend:

First is a cafe shakerato. Not really a mocktail--it's a traditional Italian espresso drink in its own right--but it provides a similar ritual to many alcoholic drinks. You take a double shot of espresso (I make mine using a small moka pot), put it in a shaker with ice and a bit of sugar, and shake it vigorously for a while--30-45 seconds minimum. Then pour into a martini glass. It's cool, sweet, more dilute than espresso, and the shaking gives it a silky texture.

One tip: Use relatively fresh coffee beans. I get pre-ground beans monthly from a small roasting company, and they work great. Folgers does not work so well. You need the fresh oils to make the texture.

That small roasting company--Whiskey Morning Coffee--also has straight coffee that fits into this category. They age their dark roast beans in bourbon barrels, which imparts a bourbon flavor without the alcohol. It tastes exactly like you put a healthy slug of good bourbon in your coffee, but again, no alcohol. I don't recommend folks drink this while driving; it's legal, but explaining it to the cops is going to be difficult. But on a slow Saturday or Sunday morning it's an absolute delight.

The third is a sweet tea old fashioned. Basically make it as you would an old fashioned, but use cooled tea instead of bourbon. I've used a jasmine green tea for this, mostly because my wife likes it so we had a pitcher of it on hand, and it's pretty good. Lapsang souchong--a smoked tea--works as well if you want more smoky/bitter flavors.

Anonymous said...

can you give us the permanent link to the ongoing game itself? I was able to access today's game but once I did it it vanished.

Gus Van Horn said...

Thanks for these! The sweet tea old-fashioned is particularly interesting as I am already a fan of lapsang souchong.

Gus Van Horn said...

The link is https://18words.com/ .

Gus Van Horn said...

After playing this again, I noticed that you'll need to reload the 18 Words game page to get a new game or play the archives.